Eastwood hits back at Lee over race remarksJune 7th, 2008 - 1:16 pm ICT by ANI
New York, June 7 (ANI): Clint Eastwood has hit back at director Spike Lee for questioning why the veteran director/actor did not feature any black soldiers in his 2006 drama Flags of Our Fathers.
Lee, during a press conference following the premiere of a trailer for his new film “Miracle at St. Anna,” a World War II epic about an all-black infantry division that fought in Italy, at the Cannes Film Festival, had slammed Eastwood.
“There were many African-Americans who survived that war and who were upset at Clint…. That was his version: the negro soldier did not exist. I have a different version,” the New York Daily News quoted him, as saying.
“It’s not like [Eastwood] could say he didn’t know. It was a conscious decision not to have any black people.”
And while Eastwood refused to comment during a press conference he later gave, he did hit back when he gave an interview to the London Guardian.
“Has he ever studied the history? Complained when I did [1988's Charlie Parker bio-pic] ‘Bird.’ [He said] ‘Why would a white guy be doing that?’ I was the only guy who made it, that’s why. [Lee] could have gone ahead and made it,” he tells the London Guardian.
Speaking about black troops on Iwo Jima, Eastwood said, “But they didn’t raise the flag. The story [was] … the famous flag-raising picture, and they didn’t do that. If I put an African-American actor in there, people’d go, ‘This guy’s lost his mind.’ I mean, it’s not accurate. … When I do a picture and it’s 90% black, like ‘Bird,’ I use 90% black people.
“A guy like [Lee] should shut his face.” (ANI)
- Spike Lee condemns Clint Eastwood for erasing black GIs from history - May 21, 2008
- No more big-budget films from George Lucas - Jan 20, 2012
- Clint Eastwood declined James Bond - Sep 10, 2010
- Spike Lee fears spat with Clint Eastwood will cost him an Oscar - Sep 10, 2008
- Eastwood donates fee to charity - Feb 08, 2012
- Veterans Honor Iwo Jima's 65th Anniversary - Feb 23, 2010
- Beyonce to play lead in 'A Star Is Born' - Jul 02, 2011
- 35 Pakistani government websites hacked - Nov 30, 2010
- Tory councillor Bob Frost suspended after racist comments on Facebook - Aug 19, 2011
- Bollywood makes its presence felt at F1 after-party - Oct 30, 2011
- Cooper not doing 'A Star is Born' remake - Aug 26, 2012
- Yi Jianlian to carry flag for China in London - Jul 26, 2012
- Clint Eastwood opens up about his love for jazz - Aug 18, 2010
- Cruise in 'A Star Is Born'? - Mar 13, 2012
- A column of beauty is OMG totally PHAT for ever (The Funny Side) - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: american actor, bio pic, cannes film festival, charlie parker, clint eastwood, conscious decision, director spike lee, flags of our fathers, infantry division, italy, london guardian, miracle, negro soldier, new film, new york daily news, parker bio, spike lee, veteran director, world war ii, york daily news