Early Bond Girls were feminist icons, says 007 producerSeptember 21st, 2008 - 4:40 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 21 (ANI): James Bond girls have long been touted as mere eye candies, but now the joint owner and producer of the 007 franchise has claimed that the women in the secret agent’’s early adventures were “progressive” role models.
Barbara Broccoli said that characters like Honey Rider, played by Ursula Andress in Dr No (1962), and Pussy Galore, played by Honor Blackman in Goldfinger (1964), were feminist icons.
Broccoli, 48, is the daughter of Cubby Broccoli, the founder of the James Bond franchise.
“The women were unique for their time. Pussy Galore, for instance, was a female pilot. A lot of them were sexual predators who gave as good as they got. They had professional careers and did extraordinary things. I think the early women were very progressive, Telegraph quoted her, as saying.
However, her comments elicited angry response from feminists.
According to her, there was a difference between the female characters who appeared alongside Sean Connery in 1960s and those who appeared opposite Sir Roger Moore in the 1970s.
She confessed that with time, the strong women of the 1960s were replaced by girls who were little more than eye candy.
She said: “The depiction of women has changed over the years. I think we went through a period later on when they became more window dressing. They were draped around swimming pools and that sort of thing.”
In many Bond films, silhouettes of naked or semi-clad women were showcased in their opening musical sequences. And many of the famous lines are laden with sexual innuendo.
In fact, even the most formidable female characters in the franchise, including some of 007′’s enemies, have all fallen for his charms.
Not barring Honey Rider, who steps out of the sea in her bikini in Dr No, makes love with Bond in a boat at the end of the film and Pussy Galore, and initially betrays Bond, eventually ends up in his arms beneath a parachute.
Now, Broccoli and her step-brother, Michael G Wilson, who co-produces the films, have made a deliberate effort to update the portrayal of women in Bond films. (ANI)
- Sir Tom Jones was once tipped to play James Bond - Oct 04, 2010
- Never-before-seen photos of James Bond revealed after 50 yrs - Feb 12, 2011
- Ex-Bond Goldfinger girl says Pussy Galore was no bimbo - Oct 15, 2008
- 007''s five best girls revealed - Oct 21, 2008
- Oct 5 to be celebrated as Global James Bond Day (With Image) - Aug 30, 2012
- Two members of Pussy Riot flee Russia - Aug 27, 2012
- Sean Connery, Ursula Andress named best Bond stars of all time - Oct 27, 2008
- Mel Gibson missed Bond role because he was 'too short' - Nov 10, 2009
- Connery says no to Bond's 50th anniversary celebrations - Jan 31, 2011
- Ben Whishaw to play Q in next Bond film - Jul 14, 2012
- Clint Eastwood turned down 'Superman' and 'James Bond roles' - Sep 09, 2010
- 'Bond 23' suspended indefinitely! - Apr 21, 2010
- Charming Vanessa Hudgens Has Been Selected As The New Girl Of Candie's - Jan 28, 2011
- James Bond prefers brunettes who have American accent, carry weapon - Jun 08, 2009
- Boyle's Olympic creation narrative of British history (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: angry response, barbara broccoli, bond films, cubby broccoli, extraordinary things, eye candies, eye candy, female pilot, honey rider, honor blackman, james bond franchise, james bond girls, musical sequences, pussy galore, sexual innuendo, sexual predators, step brother, swimming pools, time pussy, ursula andress