‘Drive Angry’ entertaining, but lacks focus (IANS Movie Review)February 27th, 2011 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
By Satyen K. Bordoloi
Film: “Drive Angry”; Cast: Nicolas Cage, Amber Heard, William Fichtner, Billy Burke; Director: Patrick Lussier; Rating: **What’s the point of a film that does not have a point? The answer is a question - why should a film have a point in the first place? If a film entertains, it should be enough. If one is a believer in that part, “Drive Angry” is definitely a worthy watch.
Milton (Nicolas Cage) literally manages to escape the confinements of hell to prevent a cult led by Jonah King (Billy Burke) that murdered his daughter, from killing his grand daughter. Only, he is pursued by The Accountant (William Fichtner), Satan’s supernatural sidekick and helped by a totally natural and mortal human, Piper (Amber Heard).
Despite literally having no point and not real charisma, “Drive Angry” does have its moments where it leaps forwards and grabs the audience. Most of these have to do with the infusion of the wit in the film and the character of the accountant.
In terms of technique, the film tries hard to be like a comic book adaptation and though in parts it succeeds with some lines worthy of a repeat, it does look pretentious in other parts. But, it is not a film you watch with your logic glues to your head.
Amber Heard as the woman, who first drives Milton around and later becomes his partner in crime, shows off all that the Indian censor board has permitted.
Fans of brainless action films will have a few take home moments and lines. But beyond it all, it is a predictable ride that has to be taken only out of desperation and not out of a favour to cinema.
- My character is heart of 'Drive Angry': Amber Heard - Feb 25, 2011
- Nicolas Cage shooting for 3D action thriller - Apr 05, 2010
- Nicolas Cage to star in 'Medallion' - Dec 16, 2010
- 'Season Of The Witch' - what's the point? (IANS Movie Review) - Jan 21, 2011
- 'Ghost Rider - Spirit of Vengeance' a thrilling ride for youngsters (IANS Movie Review) - Feb 17, 2012
- 'The Man in the Maze' is amateurish, lifeless (IANS Movie Review) - Sep 03, 2011
- 'Shark Night' - overstretched, but fun little film (IANS Movie Film Review) - Aug 31, 2012
- Nicolas Cage treats son with a wedding jet - May 04, 2011
- Nicolas Cage Keeps Fans Guessing About "Trespass" - Aug 07, 2010
- Brad Pitt wants more comedy - Oct 10, 2011
- 'The Artist' gets 12 nods, leads BAFTA nominations - Jan 17, 2012
- Nicolas Cage Loves Shooting In A Forest - Jan 08, 2011
- 'Captain America' - linear, predictable but fun (IANS Movie Review) - Aug 12, 2011
- Cage's rant caught on camera - Dec 14, 2010
- 'Good Night, Good Morning' - good, but has nothing to say (IANS Movie Review) - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: accountant, action films, amber, believer, charisma, comic book adaptation, desperation, director patrick, favour, forwards, glues, grabs, grand daughter, infusion, movie review, nicolas cage, partner in crime, patrick lussier, sidekick, william fichtner