Drew Barrymore reveals her bitter childhoodMarch 28th, 2011 - 7:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 28 (ANI): Former wild child Drew Barrymore has opened up in an interview about her lifelong struggle to cope with her unconventional parents.
“I wish I had accepted, at 18, that my parents were not really interested in being parents,” the Sun quoted her, as saying.
“My father, John (who died in 2004), actually told me when I was a kid: ‘I can’t be a father. You have to understand that’. But I never did. My mum, Jaid, (now 64) divorced my dad when I was nine,” she said.
“They were not bad people. They just did not want to be my mum and dad. There is no resentment or bitterness. “My parents wanted to be somewhere else and do their own thing. So it took time for me to come to terms with it all,” she added.
“I stopped taking drugs and drink on July 3, 1989 - I was just 14. So it feels like ten lives. I did lots of things in my teens but felt that I still had the rest of my life ahead of me,” she said.
“I have made mistakes in the past, because I thought relationships had to be really heavy to be deep. They don’t,” she added. (ANI)
- Barrymore - happy being imperfect - Aug 25, 2010
- My mum taught me anything was possible, says Rio Ferdinand - Nov 29, 2010
- Depp wanted his parents to split - Oct 29, 2011
- Diaz helps Barrymore with wedding dress - Jun 01, 2012
- Myleene Klass on her mother being the inspiration of her life - Oct 11, 2010
- Kirsten Dunst leads a normal life - Jan 30, 2012
- Leona Lewis happy with new man - Jul 02, 2011
- Drew Barrymore blames bad relationships on father's absence - Mar 10, 2009
- Strict upbringing still affects Janet - Feb 12, 2011
- Jessica Alba is a strict mother - Feb 26, 2012
- Rihanna forgives abusive father - Apr 09, 2011
- Divorce will never be an option for Gaga - Aug 14, 2012
- Moore writes parenting book - Mar 27, 2012
- Peter Andre's parents moving in with him - Aug 09, 2011
- Drew Barrymore vows never to go under knife - Mar 15, 2010