Dressing up Stallone, Routh was fabulous: Indian designerApril 16th, 2009 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) Dressing up Hollywood stars Sylvester Stallone and Brandon Routh was the most fabulous experience of her career and she is floored by their humility, says Indian celebrity designer Shabina Khan.
“It was fabulous designing for Sylvester Stallone and Brandon Routh (of ‘Superman’ fame). It was my finest experience. They are professionals and did whatever I asked them to do. Apart from designing for them, what I learnt from them was how to be humble. Both of them are extremely down to earth,” Khan told IANS over phone from Mumbai.
Stallone and Routh are making special appearances in producer Sajid Nadiadwala’s “Kambhakkt Ishq”, a film about an Indian stuntman who takes Hollywood by storm but cannot find true love.
“As both of them were playing themselves in the film, what I had kept in my mind while designing for them was how people dress up in Hollywood. Since most were action sequences, I gave them more of cargos, hoodies (T-shirts with hoods) and tight T-shirts,” she said.
Directed by debutant Sabbir Khan, the film has Akshay Kumar and Kareena Kapoor in lead roles. Akshay plays Routh’s body double in the actioner.
Shabina Khan also designed Akshay’s clothes and said the filmmaker didn’t want anything “conventional” for him.
“The director wanted a macho look for Akshay but not the ‘ganjis’ and tight T-shirts. So I created a new trendy look for him. I gave him tight cargos, waistcoats, boots and scarves,” she explained.
Starting in 1988, Khan has worked as a designer for more than 30 films, including “Hum Aapke Hain Koun?”, “Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam”, “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” and “Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham”.
“I started designing for Salman Khan initially. Both of us were in the same college. I designed for him for 13 years,” said Khan who has also dressed stars like Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan and Madhuri Dixit.
She considers Akshay and Kareena the best dressed Bollywood celebrities.
“Anything and everything looks good on Akshay. He has a perfect body and a perfect face. He can carry anything off. Kareena is very versatile. Whether it’s Indian or Western she can carry both with elan and look stunning,” she said.
Khan’s forthcoming projects are Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s “Chenab Gandhi”, Vipul Shah’s “Action Replay”, Sajid Nadiadwala’s “Housefull” and Priyadarshan’s “De Dhana Dhan” among which two are period films.
“‘Chenab Gandhi’ is a period film. Since ‘Action Replay’ starring Akshay and Aishwarya (Rai) is set in the 1970s, I consider that a period film as well,” she said.
“It is extremely difficult to design for a period film. You have to be accurate with your homework because if you miss anything, you’ll completely mess up. Therefore, at the pre-production level, a lot has to be done,” she said.
- 'Rahul Mahajan asked for non-itchy wear for swayamvar' - Feb 10, 2010
- Ranbir Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra gear up to meet Sylvester Stallone - Jan 27, 2010
- Akshay does live stunt for 'Kambakkht...' promotion - Jul 02, 2009
- Shabina Khan has clothed all the who's who of Bollywood. - Apr 10, 2009
- Kareena walks out of 'Kambakkht ..' event after offending query - Jun 15, 2009
- Hollywood bitten by Bollywood bug? - Sep 25, 2010
- Kareena wears dress worth Rs.800,000 in 'Kambakkht Ishq' - Apr 01, 2009
- Akshay, Kareena to walk red carpet with Stallone at Cannes - May 05, 2009
- Sajid Nadiadwala praises Kareena. - Apr 01, 2009
- I pray and wish that all films do well: Kareena Kapoor - Jun 08, 2009
- Akshay's flops don't affect me: 'Kambakkht Ishq' director - Jun 17, 2009
- Designer Shabina Khan turns producer with 'Rowdy Rathore' - Apr 03, 2012
- Sajid Khan to direct Akshay only for Nadiadwala - Sep 02, 2010
- Both Katrina, Kareena have sexy bodies: Akshay Kumar (Interview) - Jun 29, 2009
- Akshay, Kareena smoulder in comically chaotic 'Kambakkht Ishq' (IANS Film Review; Rating: ***) - Jul 04, 2009
Tags: action sequences, akshay kumar, bollywood celebrities, brandon routh, de chuke, fabulous experience, hollywood stars, hrithik roshan, hum aapke, hum dil de chuke sanam, indian celebrity, kabhi khushi, kareena kapoor, kuch kuch hota, kuch kuch hota hai, madhuri dixit, salman khan, shah rukh khan, stuntman, sylvester stallone