DreamWorks China venture to produce first animation filmMarch 20th, 2012 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, March 20 (IANS) A joint venture between DreamWorks Animation, producer of Hollywood blockbusters such as “Kung Fu Panda”, and its Chinese partners is scheduled to release its first animated film in 2016, the head of the US studio said Tuesday.
Ultimately, Oriental DreamWorks will become a landmark entertainment center in Shanghai, just like Broadway in New York and Hollywood in Los Angeles, said Jeffrey Katzenberg, CEO of DreamWorks Animation (DWA), who began a two-day inspection tour of the Shanghai-based joint venture Monday.
Katzenberg said there are seven animation proposals competing for Oriental DreamWorks’ maiden production, Xinhua reported.
He said the joint venture, promoted as a Chinese family entertainment brand, will closely link elements of Chinese history, culture and literature in its various productions.
For 2012, work will focus on assembling talents into a competent team, Katzenberg said, adding that a studio will be set up with leading DreamWorks expertise, especially on three-dimensional (3D) technologies.
The joint venture was first announced in February during Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping’s visit to the US.
DreamWorks has most recently taken the spotlight with “Kung Fu Panda” and “Kung Fu Panda 2″. Both achieved impressive box office success in the Chinese market, with the latter reaching ticket sales of 470 million yuan ($75.2 million).
- James Cameron to co-produce 3D film in China - Aug 09, 2012
- 'Kung Fu Panda' lawsuit goes forward - Dec 08, 2010
- DreamWorks Animation in five-year deal with 20th Century Fox - Aug 21, 2012
- DreamWorks Studio Launches Kung Fu Panda Virtual World - Apr 13, 2010
- 'Kung Fu Panda 2' breaks China records, earns 11 mn pounds - Jun 06, 2011
- Hindus concerned about DreamWorks' 'Monkeys of Bollywood' - Jan 13, 2011
- 'Hangover Part II' tops US box office - May 30, 2011
- Kung Fu Panda sequel set for 2011 in 3D - Oct 02, 2008
- Charlie Kaufman to polish Kung Fu Panda - May 15, 2010
- China's kung fu town to build global martial arts conglomerate - Aug 04, 2011
- DreamWorks: How to Train a Corporate Dragon - Feb 24, 2010
- 'Kung Fu Panda 2' - double the delight (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ****) - May 27, 2011
- Brangelina's kids don't find them cool - Dec 09, 2011
- Reliance DreamWorks films get 11 Oscar nominations - Jan 25, 2012
- China raises Bruce Lee to rival NY's Liberty - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: 3d technologies, animated film, animation film, animation producer, box office success, china venture, chinese family, chinese history, chinese market, chinese partners, chinese vice, competent team, dreamworks, dreamworks animation, first animation, jeffrey katzenberg, kung fu panda, landmark entertainment, xi jinping, xinhua