Dove song in ‘Delhi-6′ was not planned: Rakeysh Omprakash MehraJanuary 8th, 2009 - 9:54 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 8 (IANS) Sooraj Barjatya’s “Maine Pyar Kiya” had a pigeon song that became popular and 20 years later Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra has a dove song in his forthcoming film “Delhi-6″. He says it was not part of the original plan.”The song was not really meant to be part of the narrative. I mean, who would think of putting in a song about a dove in a film like ‘Delhi-6′? It just happened. When I came to the pre-climax portion of my script, I was stuck. I needed a continuity link taking the narrative to its finale,” Mehra told IANS.
Mehra’s much talked-about “Delhi-6″ has a large cast including Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek, Sonam Kapoor and Gulshan Grover as well as a dove named Masakali who serves as the romantic leitmotif in the plot.
So crucial was the dove to the film that a whole song was written and composed in its honour. The song “Masakali” is sung by Mohit Chauhan whose voice A.R. Rahman had used in “Rang De Basanti”.
“When I narrated the scene to Rahman, he said, ‘I can see a dove here’. I was taken aback. I had never mentioned Sonam’s dove to Rahman. How did he know about it? That’s how the song ‘Masakali’ was born,” said Mehra.
Mehra says the songs fit well in the plot of the movie.
“When Rahman and I did ‘Rang De Basanti’, we didn’t think about anything except how well the songs and music fitted into the plot. The music of ‘Delhi-6′ is again designed only for the film. The dove song ‘Masakali’ makes sense only within the parameters of our plot.”
- Rakeysh Mehra teams up with Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy for '...Milkha' - Feb 07, 2012
- Mehra to start shooting 'Bhag Milkha Bhag' soon - Jul 17, 2011
- Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra mourns loss of mother - Sep 10, 2012
- Film villains mirror socio-political scene: Rakeysh Mehra - Sep 26, 2011
- '...Milkha Bhaag' shooting to resume after summer break - Jul 06, 2012
- Cannes to screen documentary on Indian cinema - Mar 03, 2011
- I'm stylish, not sexy: Sonam Kapoor - Aug 09, 2012
- I'm happy 'Delhi-6' got recognition: Rakeysh Mehra - Sep 15, 2010
- Abhishek's survival tips for Sonam - Dec 23, 2011
- Shooting in Kashmir was most peaceful: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra (Interview) - Feb 06, 2011
- Songs are becoming like jingles: Prasoon Joshi (Interview) - Jul 12, 2012
- Mehra wants new face to play Milkha Singh - Jan 05, 2011
- 'Delhi-6' not an autobiography: Rakeysh Mehra - Feb 16, 2009
- I've no luxury to watch films, admits Pranab - Oct 18, 2011
- Sonam surprised at being tagged 'sexy' - Dec 20, 2011