Dopunkar Roy appointed new CM of Meghalaya (Second lead/ Meghalaya)March 19th, 2008 - 4:15 pm ICT by admin
Shillong, Mar 19 (ANI): Meghalaya Progressive Alliance leader Dopunkar Roy has been appointed by Meghalaya Governor S S Sidhu as the States Chief Minister.
Roy will be sworn in later this evening.
Roy will replace D D Lapang who had resigned from the post of CM this morning due to lack of party support.
Lapang told reporters this morning, Meghalaya Progressive Alliance (MPA) is a bundle of contradictions and will last only three months, and I am sure that the Congress will be back.”
Former Lok Sabha Speaker P.A Sangmas challenge in the Supreme Court against Sidhus decision to invite Lapang paved the way for Lapangs resignation. Sangma had claimed that the NCP-led Meghalaya Progressive Alliance (MPA) had the support of 31 of the 60 elected members, whereas the Congress had not been able to cobble up a majority.
The Congress won 25 seats in the 60-member Assembly and sought the support of three independent MLAs. (ANI)
- Mukul Sangma to be sworn in as Meghalaya CM today - Apr 20, 2010
- Four chief ministers, no big deal: Lapang - Mar 24, 2010
- Meghalaya's UDP to support Sangma in presidential poll - Jul 02, 2012
- Rebel Meghalaya legislators seek chief minister's ouster - Jun 01, 2011
- Meghalaya CM urges coalition partners not to support Sangma - Jul 06, 2012
- I will ensure coherence and unity in CLP: Sangma - Apr 20, 2010
- MPA loses yet another minister - Mar 12, 2009
- Sangma to be elected next Meghalaya chief minister - Apr 19, 2010
- Lapang quits, Congress legislators to meet in Shillong (Lead) - Apr 18, 2010
- Lapang resigns, Sangma to be sworn-in Tuesday (Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- Congress ally in Meghalaya to support new chief minister - Apr 19, 2010
- Sangma's exit will not impact Meghalaya unit: NCP - Jun 20, 2012
- Threat to Sangma's government in Meghalaya: Minister - Apr 12, 2011
- Meghalaya chief minister's fate to be decided Monday - Apr 24, 2011
- Meghalaya chief minister confident of completing term - Apr 16, 2011