Docu on Italian designer Valentino longlisted for next year’s OscarNovember 20th, 2009 - 3:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 20 (ANI): It has emerged that a documentary on Italian designer Valentino is among 15 other titles that are eligible to win next year’s best documentary feature Oscar.
‘Valentino: The Last Emperor’ is about the 77-year-old designer’s final days as head of the fashion house that bears his name, reports the BBC.
Others films that have been longlisted by the Academy include ‘The Cove’, about the clandestine slaughter of dolphins in Japan, ‘The September Issue’, about Vogue editor Anna Wintour, and James Toback’s documentary about boxer Mike Tyson.
But Michael Moore’s, ‘Capitalism: A Love Story’, has been omitted from the list, to be whittled down to five ahead of the 2010 Oscars on March 7.
Features that did make the cut included ‘Burma VJ’, a docu-drama about protests in Burma made up of “video journalist” footage smuggled out of the country.
Others include a film about Sergio Vieira de Mello, the UN special envoy who was killed in Iraq in 2003.
‘Mugabe and the White African’, a British documentary about farmers fighting to hold onto their property in Zimbabwe in the face of President Robert Mugabe’s land reform programme, is also included.
Some 89 titles had originally qualified for the category, according to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
The five-strong shortlist will be revealed when the Academy Award nominations are announced on February 2. (ANI)
- 'The Cove' bags best documentary, features Oscar - Mar 08, 2010
- Only one 'Asia-focused' entry won at Oscars - Mar 08, 2010
- 'Dhobi Ghat' out of BAFTA race - Jan 17, 2012
- Bollywood actors attend screening of cancer documentary '1 A Minute' - Oct 28, 2010
- Cricket is not a man's game: Rani Mukherjee - Aug 06, 2010
- Two Indians and Liv Ullmann - in one film - Dec 14, 2011
- "Avatar" and "The Hurt Locker" lead 82nd Academy Awards nominations - Feb 03, 2010
- India-based documentary 'Pink Saris' wins at Abu Dhabi Film Fest - Oct 23, 2010
- Film on Vogue magazine premieres at Sundance fest - Jan 18, 2009
- Major Winners of the 2010 Oscars, The Hurt Locker sweeps the awards - Mar 08, 2010
- "The Cove" Bags Oscar As Best Feature Documentary - Mar 08, 2010
- 'Khuda Kay Liye', 'Fahrenheit 9/11' best cinematic works on WTC attack - Sep 09, 2011
- 'The King's speech' wins Best Film at Producers Guild of America Awards - Jan 24, 2011
- Oscar 2010: The 82nd Annual Academy Award Winners - Mar 08, 2010
- Jeet Thayil's novel makes Booker Prize longlist - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,