Disney’s Hannah Montana doll beats Barbie as Most Desired ToyNovember 21st, 2007 - 11:08 am ICT by admin
New York, Nov 21 (ANI): Disney’s Hannah Montana doll, based on the popular TV series, has emerged as the most wanted toy among young girls.
The doll has overtaken Barbie and Bratz as the most desired toy for young girls.
Hannah Montana is an American Emmy Award-nominated teen television series focusing on Miley Stewart (played by Miley Cyrus), who lives a double life as an average teenage girl at school during the day and a famous pop singer at night, concealing her real identity from the public other than her close friends and family.
“It’s everything Hannah. She’s the hot property, from the doll to the play sets and everything that goes along with it,” the New York Daily News quoted Jim Silver, editor in chief of Toy Wishes magazine, which features Cyrus’ character on its current cover and includes the singing doll in its coveted “Hot Dozen” holiday toy list, as saying.
In an attempt to bounce back this holiday season, Mattel is promoting Barbie Girls, an MP3-player/doll hybrid that accesses an online virtual Barbie world.
“Barbie continues to be a No. 1 fashion doll worldwide, and she’s held that position for almost 50 years,” Rosie O’Neill, marketing manager for Barbie, said.
“There will always be competition in the market, and our challenge is to innovate with a wide range of products. Barbie Girls is a really good example, and the ‘Princess’ movies continue to be No. 1 on kid video charts. We’re really covering a broad range of what girls are looking for, and that’s what is going to continue to keep Barbie competitive,” she added.
While no one is willing to write off Barbie’s plastic fantastic appeal just yet, there’s no denying that Hannah’s fame continues to touch the sky.
A flock of Hannah-brand toys are hitting the market as holiday shopping picks up steam, from DVDs and Nintendo Wii games to fashion and makeup lines, and even professional guitars for aspiring musicians.
“If you don’t have kids, you didn’t realize one year ago that ‘Hannah Montana’ was the hottest TV show. Kids were already crazy, but there was no product available,” Silver said.
“It was just a matter of time. The audience kept building, the product hit, and now everyone wants it,” he added. (ANI)
- New Barbie dolls for Olympics 2012 - Jul 26, 2012
- Barbie doll creator dead - Jul 24, 2011
- Barbie maker Mattel wins legal battle over MGA Entertainments Bratz doll - Dec 05, 2008
- After Katrina, Hrithik may walk the ramp for kids - Jan 13, 2012
- Barbie doll-maker slammed over recruitment of models as young as 12 - Feb 13, 2011
- "Barbie Video Girl" - A Trap Set By Pedophiles? - Dec 24, 2010
- Barbie maker's new dolls that 'have to wax' spark outrage - Mar 12, 2011
- New Barbie with hidden camera branded a "gift to paedophiles" - Nov 03, 2010
- Barbie with camera "could be used by paedophiles", warns FBI - Dec 04, 2010
- FBI Discharges An Internal Memo Against Barbie Video Girl, Warning Of Its Potential Use For Child Pornography - Dec 08, 2010
- Iran shutting down shops selling Barbies? - Jan 22, 2012
- Recession hits 50-year-old Barbie but not Lego, other heritage brands - Dec 25, 2009
- Barbie Doll Link Takes User To Pornographic Site - Dec 24, 2010
- FBI Issues Warning Notice About Barbie "Video Girl" Doll - Dec 05, 2010
- Miley's tattoo obsession continues - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: aspiring musicians, barbie world, brand toys, bratz, disney, even professional, fashion doll, girl at school, hannah montana, holiday toy, jim silver, makeup lines, mattel, miley cyrus, miley stewart, new york daily news, nintendo wii games, popular tv series, professional guitars, young girls