Disability groups boycott Ben Stiller’s spoofAugust 13th, 2008 - 6:24 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Aug 13 (DPA) Critics are calling Ben Stiller’s new movie a hilarious spoof of Hollywood’s egotism, but a coalition of disability groups is not amused. The coalition has objected to the repeated use of the word “retard” to refer to the character Simple Jack, played by Stiller in “Tropic Thunder”.
Comprising 22 groups including the Special Olympics and the National Down Syndrome Congress, the coalition launched a nationwide boycott of the film at Monday’s premiere in Los Angeles.
Protesters allied with the disability groups heckled stars such as Stiller, Jack Black and Robert Downey Jr. at the premiere and held up signs that read, “Ban the movie, ban the word.”
The film’s producers rejected the criticism and refused demands to cut the repeated use of the “R-word.”
But they did chop all promotional material featuring the Simple Jack character, a dim farmhand who stutters and talks to farm animals.
“The film is in no way meant to disparage or harm the image of individuals with disabilities,” said Chip Sullivan, a spokesman for DreamWorks, a unit of Paramount that released the film.
“The film satirizes Hollywood and its excesses, and makes its point by featuring inappropriate and over-the top characters in ridiculous situations.”
Activists dismissed the explanation. “It’s supposed to be a parody, but it’s really a mockery of the word ‘retarded’,” said Myra Davola, of ARC - Advocacy, Respect and Commitment to people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities - of California.
“It’s setting us back. It’s purposeful and hateful to people that have disabilities.”
- Aniston's 'retard' remark draws ire - Aug 21, 2010
- DreamWorks China venture to produce first animation film - Mar 20, 2012
- Reliance DreamWorks films get 11 Oscar nominations - Jan 25, 2012
- Jennifer Aniston Faces Rage For Using R Word - Aug 21, 2010
- Hollywood stars Hayek, Banderas shatter stereotypes - Oct 28, 2011
- Akshay's designer outfit to be auctioned - Oct 29, 2010
- Ritchie blasted for 'retarded' slur against Madonna - Oct 16, 2009
- Jennifer Aniston slammed for using 'retard' word in interview - Aug 20, 2010
- Anil Ambani walks Oscar red carpet, his 'The Help' gets statuette (With Images) - Feb 27, 2012
- Will Smith's daughter in 'Madagascar 3'? - May 14, 2012
- Indo-Americans laud historic signing of Hollywood-Bollywood 'cooperation pact' - Nov 13, 2010
- 'Hangover Part II' tops US box office - May 30, 2011
- Hollywood, Bollywood sign cooperation pact - Nov 11, 2010
- Ben Stiller to get the BAFTA for comedy - Aug 24, 2011
- Winslet stunned by response to charity project - May 11, 2012
Tags: ben stiller, chip sullivan, developmental disabilities, disability groups, down syndrome, down syndrome congress, egotism, excesses, farm animals, farmhand, hilarious spoof, individuals with disabilities, national down syndrome, national down syndrome congress, promotional material, ridiculous situations, robert downey, robert downey jr, special olympics, tropic thunder