Director Steven Soderbergh announces his retirementAugust 30th, 2011 - 10:07 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Aug 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Movie director Steven Soderbergh has announced his retirement from the movie industry. The 48-year-old director officially hinted about his retirement last March when he spoke to reporters.
However in a recent interview with the New York Times, Soderbergh announced that, “I’m interested in exploring another art form while I have the time and ability to do so. I’ll be the first person to say if I can’t be any good at it and run out of money I’ll be back making another ‘Ocean’s’ movie.”
In the first interview earlier in the year, Soderbergh said he was going to step down as movie director and concentrate on his work as a painter when he was done directing two movies: Liberace and Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Soderbergh has since moved on to direct two more films including Haywire.
The retirement of the filmmaker has been a subject of rumor since 2009. In the past, he came out to deny the report. However it was not until early this year that he announced that it was indeed true that he will leave the movie industry. He plans to take up art painting as a full time job. He currently owns an art studio in Manhattan.
- Steven Soderbergh to retire after wrapping next two films - Mar 15, 2011
- Soderbergh to retire soon: Damon - Dec 24, 2010
- Jules Asner's Husband Steven Soderbergh Faces Paternity Lawsuit From Australian Lady - Feb 04, 2011
- Steven Soderbergh in the running to direct "The Man from Uncle" - Nov 18, 2010
- Michael Douglas signs on to portray flamboyant pianist Liberace - Dec 04, 2010
- Michael Douglas vows to act again after undergoing cancer treatment - Dec 01, 2010
- 'Haywire' - tale of a modern femme fatale (IANS Movie Review) - Jan 28, 2012
- Clooney leaves new project due to health reason - Sep 01, 2011
- Warren Beatty hints at directorial comeback - May 03, 2011
- Gwyneth Paltrow to play a sex addict in movie - Sep 08, 2011
- Catherine Zeta-Jones to play Cleopatra - Jun 18, 2012
- Damon, Douglas excited to lock lips - Mar 24, 2011
- Banderas' $10,000 fake beard - Apr 22, 2012
- Steven Soderbergh slapped with paternity suit by Oz woman - Feb 04, 2011
- Art director Ashish Lakhia passes away - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: art form, art painting, art studio, director steven soderbergh, filmmaker, films, first person, full time job, liberace, manhattan, money, movie director, movie industry, new york times, retirement, steven soderbergh