Dior’s John Galliano sacked over ‘anti-Jewish slurs’March 2nd, 2011 - 12:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 2 (ANI): Christian Dior’s chief designer John Galliano has been sacked for allegedly making ‘particularly odious’ anti-Semitic remarks.
His alleged attack on two women as depicted in a video was “firmly condemned” by the Paris-based firm, which also said it would take legal measures to ensure he leaves the company as soon as possible.
The video shows Galliano saying, “I love Hitler,” a statement at which Natalie Portman expressed expressed her “disgust”, reports the Daily Express.
“In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr Galliano in any way,” said Portman, who is the face of Cherie, a perfume by Christian Dior.
Galliano, 50, who was brought up in London, has been Dior’s creative director for 14 years. His dismissal comes on the first day of Paris Fashion Week. It is not known if his Dior show will go ahead as planned on Friday.
Last week, he was suspended over an alleged anti-Semitic attack on Geraldine Bloch, 35, and Philippe Virgitti, 41 in a Paris cafe.
Galliano’s lawyer, Stephane Zerbib, insisted the video had “no value” and that his client had “never” been anti-Semitic while working at Dior. (ANI)
- I don't think he's racist. I just think he's very ill, says Galliano's 'victim' - Mar 12, 2011
- John Galliano's 'victim' defends designer - Mar 11, 2011
- Galliano facing defamation lawsuit - May 07, 2011
- Portman disgusted by Galliano's anti-Semitic remarks - Mar 02, 2011
- Designer John Galliano trial set for June 22 - May 13, 2011
- Galliano's victim defends the designer - Mar 12, 2011
- Brit fashion designer John Galliano filmed saying 'I love Hitler' - Mar 01, 2011
- John Galliano sacked from Dior - Mar 02, 2011
- 'Anti-Jewish' John Galliano 'could face prison despite apology' - Mar 03, 2011
- Natalie Portman slams Dior's John Galliano over anti-Semitic remarks - Mar 02, 2011
- Dior suspends Galliano after anti-Semitic remarks (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- John Galliano to sue couple accusing him of making Asian slurs - Feb 27, 2011
- Galliano stripped of French honour - Aug 26, 2012
- John Galliano sacked from own fashion label following anti-Semitic rant - Apr 16, 2011
- John Galliano's show cancelled - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: alleged attack, bloch, chief designer, christian dior, creative director, daily express, disgust, geraldine, hitler, jewish slurs, john galliano, lawyer, legal measures, london, natalie portman, paris cafe, paris fashion week, perfume, stephane, two women