Digitalisation is the future: Prasar Bharati CEOJune 5th, 2012 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 5 (IANS) Terming digitalisation as the future in television viewing, Prasar Bharati CEO Jawhar Sircar Tuesday said it would also help content providers understand which programme is a hit among the masses.
“The entire world has embraced digitalisation. In India we earlier had 100 million internet users but it has now increased. We are expecting about 300 million internet users. At the same time, there are around 900 million mobile users, and most of them are shifting to 2G and 3G, which means they are accessing internet through mobiles,” Sircar said.
Sircar explained that there would be a large audience for content, even if only 200 million out of approximately 900 million mobile users accessed the internet. Thus there would be a big need for providing content.
“Right now everybody is trying to enter this highway. Digitalisation is the future. There is no second opinion about it. But what will be the way to enter this segment is the question,” Sircar told reporters here.
He said more people would shift to watching television programmes on mobiles and tablets.
“In this process of digitalisation, I personally feel that the urban audience will move towards tablets and the rural audience will move towards the mobile phone. The digital revolution is coming but what will be the mode of networking and penetration is still not clear,” he added.
- Sangita Gairola is new culture secretary - Feb 29, 2012
- Applications key as tablets flood Indian market - Aug 25, 2011
- Low-cost smartphones whet Indian appetite for mobile apps - Mar 04, 2012
- Samsung launches smart TV for Indian market - Mar 18, 2012
- Sony enters Indian tablet market - Dec 14, 2011
- Over 100 million mobile broadband users by 2015 - Aug 18, 2010
- MVAS to create Rs.48,000 crore business opportunity by 2015 - Jul 06, 2012
- 'Digital transmission in four metros from July' - Mar 14, 2012
- Bharti Airtel launches 3.75G in Zambia - Jan 17, 2012
- FDI limit hike proposed in broadcasting sector - Aug 09, 2011
- Yahoo! offers Malayalam content to internet users - Mar 01, 2012
- FM to TV, cricket marks another generational change in phones - Apr 03, 2011
- BlackBerry signs Indian-led company for tablet apps - Mar 31, 2011
- Cash-strapped Prasar Bharati asked to raise revenue - Mar 27, 2012
- Internet penetration can help raise GDP: Report - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: 100 million, 2g, 3g, ceo, content providers, digital revolution, entire world, internet users, jawhar, kolkata, mobile phone, mobile users, networking, penetration, prasar bharati, second opinion, segment, television programmes, urban audience, watching television