Diana DeGarmo’s stalker pleads guiltyMay 30th, 2009 - 2:09 am ICT by GD
Diana DeGarmo, one of the most popular contestants of the show American Idol, was stalked and harassed by an Australian, Tanya Maree Quattrocchi over the internet. The accused, a 23 years old woman, had pleaded guilty in the court earlier this month and was charged with four cases of cyber-stalking and hacking. According to media reports, Tanya Maree Quattrocchi illegally hacked into the private My Space accounts of the singer, her mother Brenda and her friend and model, Donielle Morris. Quattrocchi had also intercepted the singer’s personal data.
The judge had sentenced Quattrocchi to 26 months imprisonment for her cyber crimes. Her crimes were serious enough and it is not the first time that she was facing a sentence in this regard. For the record, she was sentenced to 150 hours of community service for earlier cyber crimes and for blackmailing DeGarmo in 2006. Interestingly, DeGarmo is also a victim this time around. She was in custody from the beginning of this year for sending emails from the hacked account of DeGarmo’s mother.
Tanya Maree Quattrocchi is one name in a long list of people involved in cyber crimes in America. In fact, the rate of computer and internet related crimes has been increasing over the years. The rate of conviction was less because of the difficulty in tracking the source of the crime. But with development in technology, more and more cyber criminals involved in sexual or financial crimes are being nabbed quickly and easily. Even if the criminal is situated half across the globe, just as Quattrocchi was, he or she can be brought under the stringent international anti-cyber crime laws.
- Facebook stalking on the rise - Feb 20, 2011
- Facebook encourages women to stalk ex-boyfriends - Mar 12, 2011
- UK govt. urged to review cyber-stalking laws - May 01, 2011
- Manhattan launches Cybercrime and Identity Theft Bureau - Mar 03, 2010
- US preteen girls charged for posting sex photos in classmate's Facebook page - Apr 28, 2011
- Serena Williams' stalker arrested outside her Florida estate - May 04, 2011
- Majority offences in UAE are cyber crimes - Jan 10, 2011
- UK becomes biggest target for cyber criminals - May 01, 2011
- Over 380 phishing incidents from January to October - Nov 25, 2011
- Over 130 government Web sites hacked during January-March 2012 - Apr 25, 2012
- Andhra government websites hacked - Feb 16, 2012
- Brazilian judge assassinated - Aug 13, 2011
- Rapper Kreayshawn's Twitter account hacked - Aug 30, 2011
- Meghna Naidu's Gmail Account Hacked - Jun 24, 2010
- UAE holds cyber crime workshop - Nov 03, 2010
Tags: 23 years, american idol, Brenda, conviction, crime laws, cyber crime, cyber crimes, cyber criminals, diana degarmo, financial crimes, globe, imprisonment, internet related crimes, mother tanya, old woman, personal data, quattrocchi, regard, sending emails, stalker