Dhulia to direct Indian adaptation of ‘Hamlet’May 14th, 2012 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 14 (IANS) After bringing the story of athlete-turned-dacoit Paan Singh Tomar alive on the big screen, director Tigmanshu Dhulia is set to adapt William Shakespeare’s tragic play “Hamlet” for Bollywood.
The project was first discussed with filmmaker Goldie Behl over a decade back and now he is set to produce it.
Dhulia worked as a writer for Behl’s 2001 directorial “Bas Itna Sa Khwaab Hai”. That’s when he suggested him a Hindi adaptation of “Hamlet”.
“Goldie and I had planned to make ‘Hamlet’ when he made his debut ‘Bas Itna Sa Khwaab Hai’, for which I wrote the dialogues. I guess every film has its destiny and we could not do it back then. But ‘Hamlet’ has risen again and now we will translate the tragic hero’s story on screen,” Dhulia said in a statement.
The project will be produced under Behl and his sister Shrishti Arya’s banner Rose Movies.
“Tigmanshu and I go back a long way… We started our careers around the same time in Rose Movies. So it feels great that he’s coming back home but this time as a director. We both are very passionate about adapting ‘Hamlet’ as its the ultimate revenge drama,” said Behl, who is married to actress Sonali Bendre.
The last movie released under Rose Movies was “London, Paris, New York”, directed by debutant Anu Menon. It was released on the same day as Dhulia’s “Paan Singh Tomar”, which received critical acclaim as well as a great response at the box office.
Arya believes Dhulia will do justice to the desi version of “Hamlet”.
“Tigmanshu is the perfect person to take a subject of the scale and size of Hamlet and infuse into it a dimension all of his own. I’m very excited with the way the script is shaping up,” said Arya.
- Rani hasn't said yes for Begum Samru role: Dhulia - Apr 14, 2012
- John, Prachi to dance on 'Na jaane kahan se aayi hai' - Mar 16, 2012
- Goldie Behl to team up with Abhishek once again - Feb 15, 2010
- Independent films can help tackle issues: Dhulia - Aug 22, 2012
- People from outside Mumbai are very rooted: Tigmanshu Dhulia (Interview) - Aug 16, 2012
- John with five beauties in 'I, Me Aur Main' - Aug 04, 2011
- Jimmy on weight loss spree (Movie Snippets) - Aug 25, 2012
- Goldie Behl Will First Direct Abhishek Bachchan Himself - Feb 11, 2010
- Dhulia to shoot 'Milan Talkies' in February - Aug 13, 2012
- 'Paan Singh Tomar' earns Rs.4.25 crore over weekend - Mar 05, 2012
- Ali Zafar busy shooting his third Hindi film - Aug 21, 2011
- Irrfan puts heart, sweat into 'Paan Singh Tomar' (Movie Snippets) - Feb 21, 2012
- Former athletes wanted money to talk about Paan Singh: Irrfan Khan - Feb 18, 2012
- 'Paan Singh Tomar' a rare cinematic treat (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Mar 03, 2012
- Tigmanshu Dhulia makes acting debut with 'Gangs of Wasseypur' - May 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,