Dhonis school to celebrate his Khel Ratna honourAugust 5th, 2008 - 1:59 pm ICT by ANI
Ranchi, Aug 5 (ANI): The DAV School at which Indias one-day criket captain, Mahendra Singh Dhoni studied, plans to organise a grand function on Tuesday to celebrate him receiving this years Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
The award, which was announced on Monday, led Dhoni to offer prayers at Ranchis ancient Deori Temple.
Dhoni is the second cricketer after Sachin Tendulkar to receive this award.
“This is really a moment of happiness for Jharkhand that Dhoni is being awarded with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award. He deserves it,” said Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu Koda.
“We will celebrate along with our students and sports department of the school today,” said Rishabh Banerjee, the sports teacher at DAV School.
Sanjit, a student said: “I am proud. He was a student of our school. He had the potential of getting the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna.”
The award is being given to Dhoni for winning the inaugural World Twenty20 Cup in 2007 and for leading the Indian one-day team to a rare tri-series win over Australia in Australia early this year.
The 27-year-old is expected to join the team for five one-dayers in Srilanka. starting in Colombo on July 23.
BCCI President Sharad Pawar also hailed Dhoni for his latest honour.
We are very happy. He has represented the country with distinction, and deserves the honour. His exemplary leadership and demeanour under pressure, especially in the ICC World Twenty20 and the tri-series in Australia, mark him out as the ideal role-model for millions of young Indians, who want to make a mark in life, Pawar said.
Ace hockey striker Prabhjot Singh, golfer Arjun Atwal, athlete Chitra K. Soman and shooter Avneet Kaur Sidhu were among those recommended for the Arjuna Awards for the year 2007.
List of awardees: Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna: M.S. Dhoni (cricket).
Arjuna Award: Prabhjot Singh (hockey), Alka Tomar (wrestling), Chitra K. Soman (athletics), Bajrang Lal Thakkar (rowing), Arjun Atwal (golf), Avneet Kaur Sidhu (shooting), K. Tombi Devi (judo), D. Harika (chess), Anup Sridhar (badminton), Varghese Johnson (boxing).
Dronacharya Award: Sanjeeva Singh (archery), Jagminder Singh (wrestling), Jagdish Singh (boxing), G.E.Sreedharan (volleyball).
Dhyan Chand Award: Gyan Pahalwan (wrestling), Hakam Singh (athletics), Mukhbain Singh (hockey). (ANI)
- Ministry announces list of sports awards - Aug 05, 2010
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- Arjuna awards and Khel Ratna conferred by president - Aug 29, 2008
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- 19 Arjuna Awards to be conferred this year - Aug 18, 2011
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- Dhoni gets Khel Ratna, 11 receive Arjuna Award (Lead) - Aug 29, 2008
- Three Air India employees to get Arjuna Awards - Aug 27, 2010
- Yuvraj, Dravid nominated for Arjuna and Khel Ratna - Jul 07, 2012
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna awards announced - Aug 19, 2008
- Yogeshwar, Vijay Kumar recommended for Khel Ratna - Aug 18, 2012
- Arjuna Award will be a great honour, says Yuvraj - Jul 07, 2012
- President confers National Sports Awards (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- No Bharat Ratna, just six Padma Shris for sportspersons - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: arjun atwal, bcci, dav school, demeanour, dhoni cricket, exemplary leadership, icc world twenty20, inaugural world, jharkhand, m s dhoni, mahendra singh dhoni, moment of happiness, prabhjot singh, rajiv gandhi, sharad pawar, sidhu, soman, sports department, thakkar, tri series