Dhanush signed for Hindi film ‘Raanjhnaa’January 24th, 2012 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 24 (IANS) Southern actor Dhanush, who became an overnight success across the nation thanks to the song “Kolaveri di”, has signed his first Bollywood project “Raanjhnaa”.
The movie will be directed by Aanand L.Rai of “Tanu Weds Manu” fame. He says he chose Dhanush for his simplicity.
“For the past six months, I’ve been looking for a simple boy to play the lead in ‘Raanjhnaa’. My requirement was a man who could look vulnerable on screen. When I saw Dhanush in the Tamil film ‘Aadukalam’. I liked him immediately. He looks very ordinary and honest, and that was the demand of the character,” Rai said in a press statement.
If the grapevine is to be believed, the director had approached him for the movie before the success of “Kolaveri di”, sung for his Tamil film “3″.
Dhanush, who is iconic hero Rajinikanth’s son-in-law, is not too well versed with Hindi. But it won’t be a barrier for his Bollywood career as he is keen to explore the industry and learn the local language and culture.
“It’s a big deal to get a launch like this at the beginning of my career here. Aanand’s script is different from regular cinema; it’s one of those ‘made to make a difference’ kind of films,” said Dhanush.
What’s the movie like?
“The film is an intense love story. Just like my film ‘Tanu Weds Manu’, the film and its characters will take you to Delhi, Punjab, Chennai,” said Rai.
Both Dhanush and Rai recently visited Benaras for the film.
The actor is also perhaps planning to hire a coach to learn Hindi. He is convinced that by the time the film’s shoot gets over, he will be able to communicate fluently in Hindi, which will open more avenues for him.
- Sonam to play JNU girl opposite Dhanush in new film - Mar 17, 2012
- Dhanush rubbishes Rajinikanth paid for '3' losses - Apr 18, 2012
- 'Tanu Weds Manu' director teams up with Eros for next - Apr 20, 2011
- Dhanush's twisted 'Kolaveri di' especially for Big B - Dec 19, 2011
- 'Kolaveri' crosses 4 mn mark, Big B hooked on to it - Nov 25, 2011
- 'Kolaveri Di' crosses 50 million hits (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- New actors are lured by glamour: Rajendra Gupta - Nov 21, 2011
- Kangana has her way with 'Tanu Weds Manu' - Dec 31, 2010
- And now 'Tanu Weds Manu' in German - Mar 15, 2011
- With millions of hits, 'Kolaveri Di' on song - Nov 24, 2011
- 'Tanu Weds Manu' sequel finalised - Sep 16, 2011
- Too soon to judge Sonam: Dhanush - Mar 22, 2012
- Dhanush to perform 'Kolaveri di' live in Mumbai - Dec 17, 2011
- Over 20 mn hits for 'Kolaveri Di', still a long way to go - Dec 12, 2011
- Want to move out of 'Kolaveri' shadow: 21-year-old composer - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: actor dhanush, avenues, benaras, chennai, film 3, grapevine, jan 24, language and culture, launch, love story, manu, nation thanks, New Delhi, overnight success, punjab, rai, simplicity, six months, tamil film, tanu