Dey murder: Jigna Vora granted bail (Lead)July 27th, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 27 (IANS) A special Mumbai court Friday granted bail to woman journalist Jigna Vora arrested in the murder of senior journalist Jyotirmoy Dey in June last year.
A Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) granted bail to Vora on a personal bond of Rs.100,000 and directed her to appear at the Mumbai Crime Branch - the investigative agency in the case - every first and third week of the month.
Observing that Vora is a single mother and has a child to take care of, special judge S.M. Modak granted her bail. He, however, asked her to deposit her passport with the crime branch immediately and not to tamper with evidence related to the case.
The court also observed that while a charge sheet has already been filed against Vora, her custody is no longer required. Modak also observed that Vora has no prior criminal history and that she is an asthmatic needing medical attention.
Working as a deputy bureau chief with a Mumbai daily, Vora was arrested Nov 25 last year in connection with the June 11 killing of Dey, the editor (Special Investigations) at Mid-Day.
Modak also observed that the forensic science laboratory has failed to retrieve details of calls made by Vora to fugitive underworld don Chhota Rajan, who is allegedly involved in Dey’s murder.
In December last year, a charge sheet against 12 accused was filed in the case. However, the name of Vora was not included.
Her name appeared in a 1,400-page supplementary charge sheet filed in February.
According to police, Vora had allegedly provided Dey’s mobile number and his exact location to Rajan, who has also been named in the charge sheet.
- Dey murder: Jigna Vora gets bail - Jul 27, 2012
- Six months on, 12 charge sheeted for Dey's murder - Dec 03, 2011
- Dey murder: Charge sheet against Vora likely Tuesday - Feb 20, 2012
- Dey murder: Vora seeks restraint on media coverage - Dec 13, 2011
- Dey murder: Vora's custody extended - Jan 03, 2012
- Dey murder: Vora's custody extended till Jan 3 - Dec 20, 2011
- Dey murder: Chargesheet filed against scribe Jigna Vora - Feb 21, 2012
- Woman journalist charged for J. Dey murder (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Dey murder: Reporter to remain in police custody (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Dey murder: reporter to remain in police custody - Dec 01, 2011
- Man seeks to surrender phones bought from Dey murder accused - Dec 02, 2011
- Dey murder: Vora remanded to judicial custody till Dec 20 - Dec 09, 2011
- Dey murder: Vora's judicial custody extended till Feb 10 (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Dey killing: Woman scribe remanded in police custody - Nov 25, 2011
- Woman scribe arrested for Dey killing (Night Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: asthmatic, bureau chief, chhota rajan, crime act, crime branch, criminal history, dey, exact location, forensic science laboratory, investigative agency, mid day, mobile number, modak, mumbai court, personal bond, single mother, special investigations, special judge, supplementary charge, woman journalist