Dev D releasing today : Awaiting ReviewsFebruary 6th, 2009 - 12:12 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Dev D, the Indian Hindi language romantic drama film will be releasing today. The movie written and also directed by Anurag Kashyap. Currently based on a modern day take on Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay’s classic novel Devdas.
Starring in Dev D Abhay Deol as Devdas,Kalki as Chandramukhi,Mahi Gill as Paro,Dibyendu Bhattacharya as Chunilal, and Asim Sharma as Paro’s Husband. The lead character of Devdas as a hypocritical sensualist, who is self destructive without knowing he is destroying himself. Dev is the son of a tax collector. He and Paro are childhood sweethearts. Differences in status and caste prevent their marriage. Dev is sent to Delhi while Paro is married off to a rich but aged widower. In Calcutta Devdas meets the prostitute Chanda but remorse drives him to excesses.
Dev.D boasts 18 tracks by artist Amit Trivedi, and there are two special Punjabi tracks, one which is raw Punjabi and the other with a street band baaja flavor to it. The song “Emosanal Attyachaar” has become popular amongst the masses and the song’s name has become a current catch phrase for most Indian youth.
“No Smoking” of Anurag Kashyap’s in the box office was a disaster. How will Dev D turn out?
- Professional Actress Mahie Gill Experiences The Embarrassment Of Being Drunk On Set - Jan 31, 2011
- Interesting Facts and Figures Mahi Gill - May 16, 2009
- When unusual romances set big screen on fire - Feb 12, 2011
- Interesting Facts and Figures Kalki Koechlin - May 27, 2009
- 'Dev D': reinventing the wheel (IANS Film Review - Rating: ***1/2) - Feb 06, 2009
- Dev. D makes it to Copenhagen Film Festival - Mar 23, 2010
- I never liked the original 'Devdas' novel: Anurag Kashyap - Feb 04, 2009
- Abhay is a natural actor: Kalki Koechlin - Sep 01, 2010
- Few new faces, but how they dazzled in Bollywood (Flashback 2009) - Dec 17, 2009
- 'That girl…' my last intense film with Kalki: Anurag (Movie Snippets) - Aug 09, 2011
- Kashyap's 'That Girl in Yellow Boots' big hit in Toronto (With Images) - Sep 19, 2010
- Anurag is my biggest critic: Kalki - Aug 27, 2011
- 'Dev D' is not like Sudhir Mishra's 'Aur Devdas': Anurag Kashyap - Dec 10, 2008
- 'Dev D' - a punk and grunge version of 'Devdas' (IANS Preview) - Feb 02, 2009
- 'Dev D' more about songs than dialogues: Abhay Deol - Jan 11, 2009
Tags: abhay deol, anurag kashyap, asim, bhattacharya, caste, catch phrase, chanda, chandramukhi, childhood sweethearts, classic novel, drama film, excesses, hindi language, kalki, mahi gill, romantic drama, sarat chandra chattopadhyay, sensualist, trivedi, widower