Dev Benegal in short film judges panel at Mumbai film festOctober 8th, 2010 - 5:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 8 (IANS) Dev Benegal of “English August” fame has been roped in to judge the entries in the short film section of the 12th Mumbai Film Festival (MFF), starting Oct 21.
Aimed at the youth (of Mumbai) under 25, the new section called Dimensions Mumbai includes films on the maximum city by aspiring directors. Besides Benegal, it will also be judged by Bishaka Dutta, Brahmanand S. Singh, Ashim Ahuluwalia and Manish Acharya.
Organised by the Mumbai Academy of Moving Image (MAMI), the festival is a Reliance Big Entertainment Ltd (RBEL) initiative which is the flagship media and entertainment arm of the Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group.
Benegal is a Mumbai-based writer-editor-director; Datta is a journalist; Singh is known for making a National Award-winning documentary on legendary composer R.D. Burman called “Pancham Unmixed: Mujhe Chalte Jaana Hai”; Ahluwalia is a screenwriter-filmmaker with credits like “John & Jane” and upcoming Hindi film “Miss Lovely”; and Acharya is known for his comedy “Loins of Punjab Presents”.
The five experts will select top 20 films from the received entries that will be screened at the gala. Apart from short fiction, the competition is also open to documentary and animation films.
The winner and the runner-up in the Dimensions Mumbai section will receive Silver Gateway trophies and cash prizes of Rs.100,000 and Rs.50,000, respectively.
- Mumbai film fest calls for short films by Mumbaikars - Sep 09, 2010
- Mumbai Film Festival honours Oliver Stone at closing ceremony - Oct 29, 2010
- Mumbai film fest to feature world premieres - Oct 15, 2010
- Mumbai film fest to pick 32 students as critics - Sep 07, 2010
- Mumbai film fest to celebrate Japanese cinema - Sep 14, 2010
- It angered me no one had made a film on R.D. Burman: Filmmaker (June 27 is Pancham's birth anniversary) - Jun 25, 2010
- Dimensions Mumbai: Deadline Extended - Aug 31, 2009
- Nine silent films to be shown at Mumbai fest - Jul 18, 2012
- Off beat films keep me grounded: Mithun - Oct 19, 2011
- Gulzar to get lifetime award at Mumbai film fest - Sep 20, 2011
- World cinema unfolds as MAMI fest kicks off - Oct 22, 2010
- Shashi Kapoor to get lifetime award at Mumbai fest - Aug 27, 2009
- Women dominate at bigger, better Mumbai film fest - Oct 14, 2011
- Mumbai Film Fest to have France as country focus - Sep 20, 2011
- Steven Soderbergh's 'The Informant' to open Mumbai film fest - Oct 20, 2009
Tags: acharya, ahluwalia, animation films, ashim, cash prizes, datta, entertainment arm, film section, hindi film, jaana, judges panel, legendary composer, manish, moving image, mumbai film festival, r d burman, reliance anil dhirubhai ambani group, rs 50, s singh, writer editor