Designing Kate’s wedding dress was an honour: Sarah BurtonApril 30th, 2011 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 30 (IANS) Designer Sarah Burton, who crafted Kate Middleton’s royal wedding gown, says it has been an “incredible honour” to create a one-of-a-kind dress for the new Duchess Of Cambridge.
Burton, the creative director of British fashion house Alexander McQueen, created a stunning silk and lace outfit behind closed doors at Buckingham Palace so that details about the gown could remain top secret until the bride stepped out at Westminster Abbey.
“It has been the experience of a lifetime to work with Catherine Middleton to create her wedding dress, and I have enjoyed every moment of it. It was such an incredible honour to be asked, and I am so proud of what we and the Alexander McQueen team have created. I am delighted that the dress represents the best of British craftsmanship,” Burton said in a statement released Friday.
“Alexander McQueen’s designs are all about bringing contrasts together to create startling and beautiful clothes and I hope that by marrying traditional fabrics and lacework with a modern structure and design, we have created a beautiful dress for Catherine on her wedding day,” contactmusic.com quoted the 36-year-old as saying.
“Catherine looked absolutely stunning and the team at Alexander McQueen are very proud of what we have created,” she added.
Burton, who took over the British fashion label after designer McQueen committed suicide in 2010, admits she had to lie at many occasions about her role in the design process after news broke out that Middleton had chosen her to create the wedding dress.
- McQueen's successor to design Kate Middleton's wedding dress? - Mar 07, 2011
- Fashion designers praise Kate Middleton's 'classic' wedding gown - Apr 30, 2011
- Catherine's wedding gown to go on display - Jun 07, 2011
- Vogue editor 'urged Kate Middleton to pick McQueen dress for wedding' - Mar 08, 2011
- Alexander McQueen label denies making Kate Middleton's wedding dress - Mar 07, 2011
- Sunday Times reveals Kate Middleton's wedding dress designer - Mar 07, 2011
- Judi Dench receives lifetime achievement award - Nov 09, 2011
- Major clue points at Sarah Burton being Kate's secret designer - Apr 29, 2011
- Chinese brides-to-be eye Kate's wedding gown - May 04, 2011
- Pippa Middleton: Playing the perfect maid of honour - Apr 29, 2011
- Was Kate's wedding gown inspired by Grace Kelly's nuptial dress? - Apr 30, 2011
- Hilfiger wants to dress Princess Catherine - May 11, 2011
- Kate Middleton best dressed bride, say Indian designers - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate weds in white Sarah Burton gown (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Hollywood celebs inundate Twitter with royal wedding comments - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: alexander mcqueen, british fashion, buckingham palace, closed doors, committed suicide, contactmusic, creative director, duchess, fashion house, fashion label, kate middleton, kind dress, lacework, royal wedding gown, sarah burton, silk and lace, traditional fabrics, wedding day, wedding dress, westminster abbey