‘Desi Boyz’ gets A-certificate, Rohit Dhawan disappointedNovember 23rd, 2011 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 23 (IANS) The Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) last week viewed two of the most awaited films of the year — Rohit Dhawan’s debut film “Desi Boyz” and Milan Luthria’s “The Dirty Picture”. They were passed with an ‘Adults Only’ certificate, and the latter has suffered one minor cut.
Rohit, whose dad David Dhawan has apparently never got an A-rating in his entire career as a filmmaker, is dismayed at his maiden film being tagged as adult fare.
“I’m extremely disappointed and saddened by the censors’ verdict. I’ve made a positive feel-good film. I think it’ll go down as the cleanest ‘A’ certified film ever,” he said.
Starring Akshay Kumar and John Abraham, the film is about two jobless guys who become male strippers to earn money. It is releasing Friday.
However, a senior filmmaker on condition of anonymity, said: “With due respects to David Dhawan, we all wish his son well as a second-generation filmmaker. But the film is about male escorts, and that is adult content. Period. Anywhere in the world males escorts are subjects for adult contemplation.”
Apparently, CBFC regional officer J.P. Singh firmly turned down Rohit’s request for a UA certificate. Rohit felt an ‘A’ certificate would curtail his potential audience-profile drastically.
To this the senior filmmaker reacted: “The RO was right in giving the film an ‘A’ certificate. Adult content must be treated accordingly. As for the film losing out on the younger audience, ‘Delhi Belly’ and ‘No One Killed Jessica’ were hits despite being certified as ‘Adults Only’ films.
“The censor board works under extreme pressures of time and rules. Full marks to Mr Singh for maintaining an equilibrium between the requirements of filmmakers and the basic codes of public morality.”
The spokesperson for film’s producers said cautiously: “Eros Entertainment respects the censor decision and they have described it as a ‘coming of age’ film.”
Vidya Balan-starrer “The Dirty Picture” chronicles the life of a sex symbol and it is coming out Dec 2.
- Why does censor board love Karan Johar? - Jan 28, 2012
- Andhra High Court clears 'The Dirty Picture' - Dec 01, 2011
- Bollywood stars grace 18th Lions Gold Awards - Jan 12, 2012
- 'Jism 2' for common man who understands erotica: Pooja - Jul 19, 2012
- For TV, Balaji sends revised version of 'The Dirty Picture' - Jul 11, 2012
- Double-meaning not my style, says Pooja Bhatt - Jul 24, 2012
- Censor board not into moral policing: Sharmila Tagore (Interview) - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Dirty Picture' TV premiere stalled despite cuts, Bollywood furious (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Hindus ask India's new film censor chair Leela Samson to curb vulgarity and violence - Apr 02, 2011
- Sex comedy in B-town: Audiences ready, censors alert - Jul 23, 2012
- SRK declared favourite actor at Lions Gold Awards (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Big B keen to face the camera again (Movie Snippets) - Nov 27, 2011
- Vidya's oomph may bowl out other biggies - Nov 11, 2011
- Censorship under fire at Mumbai film fest - Oct 22, 2010
- 'Inklab' director slams censors for demanding cuts - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: adult content, adult fare, age film, akshay kumar, audience profile, awaited films, dad david, david dhawan, debut film, delhi belly, due respects, extreme pressures, film certification, j p singh, john abraham, male strippers, males escorts, public morality, regional officer, vidya balan