Depeche Mode singer Dave Gahan has cancer surgeryMay 28th, 2009 - 7:44 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
Depeche Mode singer Dave Gahan has undergone surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in his bladder, just two weeks after collapsing in a dressing room in Athens and being rushed to hospital.
News of the singers surgery was today posted on the Depeche Mode official website, along with a statement by Gahan saying he, “sincerely thanks his fans for their support, understanding and patience”.
The British electronic band emerged in the 1980s and are part-way through a world tour to promote their Sounds of the Universe album with concerts booked through this and next year, including performances in the USA from July through September 2009.
Following his collapse and the cancellation of the Athens show, 47-year-old Gahan was diagnosed with gastroenteritis, before further medical tests revealed a “low-grade malignant tumor”.
The tumor has now been removed, but Gahan has been ordered to rest until June 8.
Eight shows between now and then have been postponed and will be rescheduled to later dates. The band, which has sold more than 75 million albums worldwide, will resume their world in Leipzig, Germany.
- Depeche Mode's O2 gig derailed due to tumour scare - May 29, 2009
- Depeche Mode have cancelled their Greece concert after lead singer Dave Gahan was rushed to hospital in Athens - May 13, 2009
- Depeche Mode's lead singer David Gahan falls ill - May 14, 2009
- Depeche Mode to kick start world tour in Israel - May 10, 2009
- Aggressive surgery best for kids with brain tumors - Nov 23, 2010
- Foo Fighters win five Grammy Awards - Feb 13, 2012
- Sinitta confirms benign tumour removal - Feb 21, 2011
- Lady Antebellum release their 3rd album 'Own the Night' - Sep 14, 2011
- Surgeons remove half of pelvis, save leg during bone cancer treatment - Mar 22, 2011
- Lady Gaga dominates Echo Awards in Berlin - Mar 06, 2010
- Reality shows draw youths to instant fame, says Tochi Raina (With Image) - Jun 25, 2012
- Joss Stone releases new album LP1 - Jul 27, 2011
- Gaga rules Echo award - Mar 06, 2010
- Kelly Clarkson's new album to be released in October - Aug 19, 2011
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: 1980s, athens, bladder, cancellation, cancer surgery, cancerous tumor, collapse, dave gahan, depeche mode, depeche mode official, dressing room, electronic band, gastroenteritis, hospital news, leipzig germany, malignant tumor, medical tests, patience, singers, sounds of the universe