Denise Van Outen brands NHS bosses a ‘disgrace’ over breast feeding criticismOctober 10th, 2010 - 3:11 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 10 (ANI): After being criticized for not breast feeding her baby, Denise Van Outen has branded NHS bosses a “disgrace”.
The actress, married to West End star Lee Mead, faced a storm of criticism after she stopped breast feeding her daughter Betsy when she was three weeks old.
“I got a letter from the NHS saying they were being supportive of me, but basically they were very disappointed I’d stopped breast feeding,” the Mirror quoted Denise as saying in an exclusive interview.
“They sent me a mug saying, ‘Keep calm and carry on breast feeding’, and wrote that they think it’s due to the lack of support from partners and if I could just go back to it, if Lee makes me a nice cup of tea and gives me support, it wouldn’t be so difficult’.
“So basically, they were not just criticising me, but my husband too. I’ve kept the letter as I think it’s a disgrace,” she said.
Denise, who had Betsy five months ago by caesarean section, also hit out at other “bullies” including some midwives.
“Midwives sometimes can be very rude and abrupt when you choose not to do it,” she said.
“When you’ve had a baby, your hormones are all over the place, so you’re quite vulnerable. You’re exhausted,” she added. (ANI)
- Denise Van Outen hits out at 'breastfeeding bullies' - Aug 31, 2010
- Denise Van Outen is outraged at NHS over the breastfeeding issue - Oct 11, 2010
- Denise Van Outen gave up breastfeeding to avoid snappers - Jul 14, 2010
- Denise Van Outen bounces back into shape 5 months after giving birth - Sep 15, 2010
- Denise Van Outen gives birth to a baby girl - May 02, 2010
- Parenting magazine slammed for calling breastfeeding 'creepy' - Jun 27, 2010
- 'Heidi Klum factor' pushing normal mums to lose weight post-pregnancy - Nov 15, 2010
- Denise Van Outen has met husband only twice after honeymoon - Jun 29, 2009
- Denise Van Outen pregnant? - Nov 11, 2009
- "Sheen and I aren't in the best place right now': Denise Richards - Apr 23, 2011
- Dannii Minogue 'absolutely loves' breastfeeding - Dec 18, 2010
- Dannii Minogue loves breastfeeding - Dec 19, 2010
- Angry Canadian mums take breast-feeding to the mall - Jan 28, 2011
- From heartache to heartbreak - how to avoid one? - Feb 15, 2010
- 'Breast is best' slogan not convincing mums to breastfeed - Jun 22, 2010