Demi Lovato says bullying sparked eating disorderApril 21st, 2011 - 4:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 21 (ANI): Troubled former Disney star Demi Lovato has revealed that her self-harming and eating disorders partly stemmed from being bullied as a child.It comes a day after the 18-year-old actress announced she had quit her popular Disney show ‘Sonny With A Chance’ because she couldn’t bear to see her body on camera.
“I literally didn’t know why they were being so mean,” the Daily Mail quoted Lovato as saying during an interview with ‘Good Morning America’.
“I was bullied for being fat,” she added.
In a separate interview with People magazine, Lovato reveals she “stopped eating” at the age of 12, dropping 30lbs. At 5ft 3in, she weighed 95lbs.
A life coach was called in to help her.
Lovato, who was filming the hit show ‘Camp Rock’ at the time, says she then began suffering from bulimia. Lovato, who admits to dabbling with drugs and alcohol, says she began cutting herself with blades as “a way of relieving pressure when I was stressed and had anxiety”.
The star, who last week praised Catherine Zeta-Jones for speaking out about her mental illness, also revealed that she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder while receiving treatment last year.
“Looking back it makes sense,” she said of the diagnosis.
She is now taking her recovery “day by day”, but it is clear her body-image struggle still looms large. (ANI)
- Demi Lovato to be bridesmaid at Tiffany Thornton wedding - Apr 28, 2011
- Proud of Zeta-Jones for seeking help: Demi Lovato - Apr 15, 2011
- Stress triggers Catherine Zeta-Jones's bipolar disorder - Apr 16, 2011
- Demi Lovato gives up cell phone - Jul 18, 2012
- Demi Lovato opens up about her eating disorder - Apr 20, 2011
- Post rehab, Lovato still self-harms - Mar 08, 2012
- Demi Lovato's new album is therapeutic - Jun 04, 2011
- Demi Lovato seeks treatment for 'emotional and physical issues' - Nov 02, 2010
- Demi Lovato Cancels Tour With Jonas Brothers, Enters Rehab - Nov 02, 2010
- Zeta-Jones doing great: Michael Douglas - Jun 13, 2011
- Lovato's tattoo tale - Dec 04, 2011
- Demi Lavato Returns Home After Spending Three Months In Rehab - Jan 29, 2011
- "Camp Rock" Star Demi Lovato Enters Rehab To Seek Medical Treatment - Nov 03, 2010
- 'Catherine was outed during bipolar struggle': Michael Douglas - Apr 24, 2011
- Demi Lovato to perform in Chile - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: actress, anxiety, bipolar, body image, catherine zeta jones, daily mail, demi lovato, diagnosis, disney, disney star, drugs and alcohol, eating disorder, eating disorders, good morning america, life coach, mental illness, people magazine, self harming, sonny, struggle