Deepika says her Veronica different from MeeraMay 23rd, 2012 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 23 (IANS) Deepika Padukone returns with “Cocktail” and clarifies that both her character in the forthcoming film and the theme of the movie are different from what people saw in her 2009 hit “Love Aaj Kal”.
The doubts about the similarity between the two films and her character arose after the first promos of “Cocktail” came out! She has teamed up with Saif Ali Khan in “Cocktail”, which is written by Imtiaz Ali and directed by Homi Adajania. Model Diana Penty also features in it.
“The minute people see Saif and me together, they will think about ‘Love Aaj Kal’. Yes, of course, Imtiaz has written the script, but it is directed by Homi Adajania who had earlier made ‘Being Cyrus’,” Deepika told reporters here Wednesday.
“Yes, it is a love story, but it is also about friendship, betrayal, fun and trust. So I think in terms of the film, it is very, very different,” she insisted.
The promos show Deepika, who plays Veronica in the film, mouthing some bold dialogues.
She clarified: “I am not the film’s writer. The dialogues were written based on the character that I am playing. Veronica is a very confident girl. She is very self-assured.”
Why did she she choose to play Veronica?
” ‘Love Aaj Kal’ was a very different role for me. In this film, I was offered both the roles. My producer Dino (Dinesh Vijan) was kind enough to offer me both the roles. He said that you choose which one you want. I took it as a challenge and Imtiaz (Ali) also suggested to me that since Meera from ‘Love Aaj Kal’ is so similar to the other character in the film, it would be interesting for me to play Veronica,” said the 26-year-old.
“I am so glad I went with that because when the trailer released two days ago, the response has been fantastic. What people are also reacting to is the fact that they have not seen me play something like this or look like this on-screen,” she added.
“Cocktail” is scheduled for a July 13 release.
- Deepika keen on women centric films - Jul 11, 2012
- Saif still perfect for love stories: Deepika - Jul 10, 2012
- 'Cocktail' has promoted itself: producer - Jul 11, 2012
- 'Cocktail': Tale of ennui told well, sparkling performances by cast (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Jul 14, 2012
- Designing for 'Cocktail' was easy: Anaita Shroff (With Image) - Jul 08, 2012
- Deepika, Saif team up again for 'Cocktail' - May 17, 2011
- Savour a mix of friendship, fashion, love in 'Cocktail' (IANS Preview) - Jul 10, 2012
- Deepika Padukone, Saif Ali Khan: Pairing Up Once Again In A Rom-Com - Dec 14, 2010
- Imran Khan was the first choice for 'Cocktail' - Jul 06, 2012
- Saif, Deepika to sizzle again in Adajania's next (Film snippets) - Dec 14, 2010
- Homi Adjania didn't want to direct 'Cocktail' - Jul 07, 2012
- Imran, Deepika paired again - Oct 21, 2010
- Promotion important, it shows our confidence in film: Boman - Jun 21, 2012
- 'Cocktail' clicks with youngsters, gets about 90 percent opening - Jul 13, 2012
- Randeep Hooda makes cameo in 'Cocktail' - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: aaj kal, being cyrus, betrayal, cocktail, deepika padukone, dialogues, diana penty, doubts, forthcoming film, friendship, imtiaz, love story, mumbai, promos, saif ali khan, similarity, two films, veronica