Deepa’s different ‘domestic violence’ issueApril 1st, 2009 - 5:18 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Deepa Mehta’s recent “Heaven on Earth’ is about domestic vilolence and has a similar premise to that of another NRI tale on the same issue- “Provoked’.
Both the women involved in the films are Punjabi women, one from the UK and the other from Canada.
Deepa says that she’s fed up of being asked if her film is similar to Jagmohan Mundhra’s “Provoked’.
She’s said, “I am tired of being asked how I feel about “Provoked’. How am I supposed to feel about it? There are so many love stories being made. Would you compare Saawariya with Jaane Tu …Ya Jaane Na? Just because my film is about domestic violence, it doesn’t follow that our films have any similarity. Shakespeare has said there are only three stories. It’s how you tell those stories that makes all the difference in the world. People should stop comparing my film to Provoked even without having seen it.”
Jagmohan Mundhra on his part is okay with the comparisons and is okay with many other films being made on the same subject.
He’s said, “I haven’t seen ‘Heaven On Earth’. But I’d like to. As far as comparing “Provoked’ with “Heaven On Earth’ is concerned, I’m glad my film has set a benchmark for all films on domestic violence. But the fear of being labelled exploitative should not stop a filmmaker from telling the story of what goes behind closed doors.”
We just hope cinematically telling the story addresses the issue and helps the cause of women worldwide.
- Please stop comparing my film with 'Provoked': Deepa Mehta - Apr 01, 2009
- Filmmaker Jagmohan Mundhra dies of cardiac arrest - Sep 04, 2011
- Shabana, Deepti remember Jagmohan Mundhra - Sep 07, 2011
- Deepa Mehta Threatens To Withdraw Film From India - Mar 23, 2009
- Deepa Mehta's 'Heaven On Earth' passed without single cut - Mar 23, 2009
- Is Deepa Mehta's Videsh similar to Provoked? - Mar 19, 2009
- The audience will love me on the big screen-Anuuj Saxena - Apr 23, 2010
- 'Apartment': on perils of sharing room with strangers - Apr 18, 2010
- Neil's retirement plans (Movie Snippets) - Aug 19, 2012
- 'Heaven On Earth' about hundreds of migrant wives: Deepa Mehta - Mar 26, 2009
- Absolute authenticity is the hallmark of 'Heaven on Earth'(IANS Film Review, Rating:****) - Mar 26, 2009
- When Pooja Bhatt cast me opposite John Abraham in my first film Paap, I knew nothing about acting and was like a child who was playing with a toy for the first time -- Udita Goswami - Apr 29, 2010
- Actors should be like supermarkets: Shahid Kapoor (Film Snippets) - Jan 14, 2010
- US scholar keen on Shakespearean theatre in India - Jan 24, 2012
- Amy and I? Keep guessing: Prateik - Jan 23, 2012