Deepa Mehta’s excited about daughter’s ‘mixed’ weddingJune 5th, 2009 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, June 5 (IANS) There is a big fat wedding waiting to happen at filmmaker Deepa Mehta’s country villa in Canada. Her daughter Devyani is set to marry architect Ian Chodikoff, who also edits the Canadian Architect magazine.
Devyani and Ian have been seeing each other for some years. Pleased as punch with the alliance, proud mother-in-law Mehta has put both her mammoth projects - “Kamagata Maru” and “Midnight’s Children” - on hold until the wedding festivities are over.
“Right now, I can’t think of anything except my daughter’s wedding. Ian is a wonderful son-in-law. And yes he’s Canadian,” Mehta told IANS.
The director herself has a Caucasian life partner David Hamilton whom she never married. But in spite of a failed first marriage, she isn’t against the institution.
“When Devyani told me she was going to marry Ian, I jumped out of my chair with joy. I’ve liked Ian from the start and was pretty sure he was the right choice for her,” said Mehta, who is known for making critically acclaimed movies like “Fire”, “1947-Earth” and “Water”.
Elaborating on the D-Day Mehta said: “We’ve chosen September 12 for the wedding. It would be held at my farm house on the outskirts of Toronto.”
The guest list would be very exclusive.
“My mom is already here with me. My brother Dilip and sister-in-law are expected to join us. Also some other close relatives,” she said.
The couple will undergo a ceremony that would be a mix of Hindu and Christian rituals.
“It would be a very informal impromptu and spontaneous ceremony,” said Mehta.
From the Mumbai film industry Akshay Kumar, who is playing leading man in Mehta’s historical “Kamagata Maru”, is expected to attend the ceremony.
- Love your bahus, say telly moms-in-law - May 10, 2012
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- Healy banned Foden from over drinking before wedding - Jul 11, 2012
- Mumbai suicide victim's sister-in-law arrested - Mar 14, 2011
- Dowry death: Four booked in Punjab - Jul 01, 2011
- Dolly Ahluwalia had apprehensions over 'Vicky Donor' drinking act - Apr 28, 2012
- BJP leader's sister drugged, left to die by kin - Aug 30, 2011
- Winona Ryder puts family before work - Jan 24, 2011
- Man sentenced to life for killing sister-in-law - Jul 18, 2012
- Dowry death: Victim's brothers-in-law get anticipatory bail - Jun 22, 2012
- Craig won't divulge wedding details - Dec 02, 2011
- Dowry death: Victim's mother-in-law told to surrender - Jun 20, 2012
- Woman kills mother-in-law with paramour's help - Aug 18, 2012
- Yet to decide Esha's wedding date: Hema Malini - Mar 27, 2012
- Kamlesh Gill thanks 'Vicky Donor' for making her famous - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: akshay kumar, canadian architect magazine, christian rituals, d day, david hamilton, deepa mehta, devyani, dilip, film industry, kamagata maru, leading man, life partner, mother in law, outskirts, partner david, proud mother, right choice, sister in law, subhash k jha, wedding festivities