Dead diva’s mum denied over $100,000 she wanted for holiday

April 2nd, 2009 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS  

Hong Kong, April 2 (DPA) The 85-year-old mother of late Canto-pop diva Anita Mui has been stopped from taking 800,000 Hong Kong dollars ($102,000) from her daughter’s estate to finance a round-the-world trip, a media report said Thursday.
Tam Mei-kam told judge Andrew Cheung she felt bored and stressed from last year’s unsuccessful attempt to gain control of her late daughter’s estate and needed to take along nurses, maids and family on the trip, the South China Morning Post said.

Rejecting her application, Cheung said Tam’s demand was unreasonable and advised her to save money from the 120,000 Hong Kong dollar monthly maintenance she already received from the estate.

Mui’s estate, which is valued at about 100 million Hong Kong dollars, included 3.9 million Hong Kong dollars in cash which is used to pay her mother’s monthly allowance.

Tam lost a court battle last year to gain control of Mui’s entire fortune after a judge upheld a will Mui signed shortly before she died of cervical cancer in December 2003 at the age of 40, which left most of her estate in a trust.

Mui feared that if she left the estate to her mother it would be squandered.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Entertainment |

Subscribe