De Niro’s hotel in trouble with New York officialsOctober 15th, 2009 - 12:32 am ICT by IANS
London, Oct 14 (IANS) Hollywood star Robert De Niro has angered New York City officials after refusing to reconstruct his upscale Manhattan hotel to meet city standards.
Bosses at the Landmark Preservation Commission (LPC) ordered the actor to modify his Greenwich Hotel in June 2008 after he built the structure without the commission’s approval.
Officials argue the building’s architectural style does not fit in with the industrial Tribeca neighbourhood and have asked De Niro to modify the sprawling penthouse, which executives claim is 1,100 square feet bigger than the design approved in 2004, reports contactmusic.com.
The actor has yet to correct the building, blaming the non-compliance on “mistakes”.
De Niro’s business partners and team of architects were set to appear before the commission Oct 9 to explain the delay in bringing the structure up to standard.
An LPC spokesperson would not confirm the meeting, citing “the ongoing application process”.
The commission has yet to set a date for De Niro to reconstruct the hotel.
Sources inform, he could be ordered to tear the structure down, costing an estimated $1.5 million.
- Robert de Niro barred from hotel! - Mar 15, 2012
- Robert De Niro to head jury at this year's Cannes Film Festival - Jan 07, 2011
- Robert De Niro Makes It To The Cannes Film Festival - Jan 07, 2011
- Bieber, Gomez's penthouse date - Nov 12, 2011
- De Niro's apartment catches fire - Jun 09, 2012
- De Niro's gifts for Cooper's dog - Oct 31, 2011
- Robert De Niro slams Donald Trump's allegations on Barack Obama - Apr 25, 2011
- Demolish Adarsh building in three months: Environment ministry (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- PMO gets CIC notice over ministers' assets - Sep 06, 2010
- Court orders permanent commissions for three IAF women officers - Mar 13, 2012
- Punjab allows private architects to clear building plans - Jun 12, 2011
- Land reclaimed after mosque demolition, DDA tells court (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Demolish Adarsh building in three months: Jairam Ramesh (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2011
- Documentary about Sir Elton John to open Tribeca festival - Mar 04, 2011
- A fourth of telecom towers non-compliant on emission norms: Minister - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: 5 million, application process, architects, architectural style, business partners, city officials, greenwich hotel, hollywood star, landmark preservation, lpc, manhattan hotel, neighbourhood, new york city, penthouse, preservation commission, robert de niro, spokesperson, square feet, tribeca, york officials