DDLJ COMPLETES CONTINUOUS RUN OF 700 WEEKSMarch 13th, 2009 - 3:46 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
In 2001, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ) – a movie which needs no introduction, broke the continuous-exhibition record, established by the movie Sholay at Minerva Theatre (5 years: 1975 – 1980). And now as of March 2009, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge has set yet another record by completing 700 WEEKS of continuous play in Mumbai’s Maratha Mandir theater. This makes DDLJ one of the largest grosser in Indian film history and still counting!
Directed by the immensely talented Aditya Chopra and starring the ideal pair of Shahrukh Khan and Kajol, the movie opened to full houses and rave reviews all over the world way back on 20th October 1995. The film swept that year’s every major award and picked up every single accolade of consequence, not to mention the unconditional love of movie goers all over and still continues to top the list of “the best Indian romantic film” of all times.
The forerunner of contemporary Bollywood, DDLJ changed the course of a nation’s cinema and became an unparalleled brand by itself. The movie beautifully blended western trends with the traditions of the country and effortlessly showcased the Indian culture at home and abroad as one. Audiences adored DDLJ’s talented ensemble cast, soulful music, gorgeous locations and the iconic romantic moments.
An achievement, perhaps unmatched anywhere in the world, the magic of DDLJ keeps pulling audiences back year after year. This evergreen Yash Raj Film remains the longest running movie of Indian cinema and is presently running in its 14th year.
Clearly, people came and fell in love with Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge again and again… and also with this film SRK became the heartthrob of every girl and SRK-Kajol pair became one of the best on-screen jodi after Raj Kapoor-Nargis
DDLJ AWARDS LIST
NATIONAL AWARD: Best Film – for providing popular and wholesome entertainment. FILMFARE AWARDS: Best Film – Yash Chopra (Producer) BestDirector – Aditya Chopra Best Actor – Shahrukh Khan Best Actress – Kajol Best Supporting Actress – Farida Jalal Best Comedian – Anupam Kher Best Lyricst – Anand Bakshi (Tujhe Dekha To…) Best Playback Singer (Male) – Udit Narayan (Mehndi Lagake Rakhna…) BestDialogue – Aditya Chopra / Javed Siddiqui Best Screenplay – Aditya Chopra ,SCREEN AWARDS:Best Film – Yash Chopra (Producer)
Best Director – Aditya Chopra
- Lara inspired by 'DDLJ' - Apr 06, 2011
- 'Dilwale Dulhania...' completes 750 weeks - Feb 27, 2010
- DDLJ in Pattinson's favourite five movie list - Nov 03, 2011
- DDLJ sets record, completes 700 weeks in Mumbai theatre - Mar 12, 2009
- Now a Swiss hotel suite, train named after Yash Chopra - Apr 12, 2011
- DDLJ To Complete 800 Weeks In Maratha Mandir, Mumbai - Aug 06, 2010
- 'Ishqiya 2' will be cult: Arshad Warsi (Movie Snippets) - Jan 05, 2012
- (VM) I just got lucky, says SRK on 20 years in B-Town - Jun 25, 2012
- Shah Rukh showers praise on Farah - Jul 24, 2012
- Kajol, Tabu, Irrfan Khan get Padma Shri - Jan 25, 2011
- I'm very happy, says Kajol after Padma Shri - Jan 25, 2011
- Bonding with co-stars works for romantic film: SRK - Sep 26, 2011
- My dream role is Kajol's part in DDLJ: Deepika Padukone - Dec 05, 2010
- One is a great number: Arjun Rampal (Movie Snippets) - Oct 29, 2011
- Energy, style, intensity make Shah Rukh Khan: Writer - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: continuous exhibition, continuous play, filmfare awards, full houses, heartthrob, indian cinema, indian film, mandir, maratha, movie goers, raj kapoor, romantic film, romantic moments, shahrukh khan, sholay, soulful music, talented ensemble, western trends, wholesome entertainment, yash raj film