DD to have 150 channels on DTH platform by year-endSeptember 12th, 2011 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sept 12 (IANS) Doordarshan, India’s public broadcaster, is poised for a major expansion, with the Prasar Bharati Board clearing the decks for 150 channels on its direct-to-home (DTH) platform by year-end.
Encouraged by the success of the e-auction of the slots on its free-to-air DTH platform DD Direct Plus, the expansion of another 100 channels in 2012 has also been approved. DD has currently 59 DTH channels.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the board last week.
In the e-auctions within July 28-August 30, 45 private media companies had participated, bringing in revenues of Rs 63 crore, reliable sources said.
The e-auction model was adopted after a court order which asked the public broadcaster to adopt a transparent system for slot allocation.
In the latest auction, six vacant slots on the DTH platform were sold at at the prices ranging from Rs 32.1 million to Rs 35 million per year.
The stage is also set for a major expansion of the All India Radio (AIR) FM network.
The board has approved immediate expansion of AIR’s FM Stations to all 313 cities planned for coverage under the FM expansion scheme of the information & broadcasting ministry, said the release.
- Doordarshan DTH platform expansion to benefit viewers - Jun 09, 2011
- Prasar Bharati approves expansion of DD's DTH platform - Sep 06, 2011
- Cabinet approves expansion of private radio service (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Govt. proposes "Broadcasting Content Complaints Council" - Feb 18, 2011
- Cabinet approves expansion of private radio service - Jul 07, 2011
- Government clears addition of channels in DD Direct - Jun 26, 2010
- AIR, DD operations hit as employees strike work (Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
- AIR, Doordarshan operations hit as employees strike - Nov 23, 2010
- NIIT Tech to set up e-auction platform for tobacco board - Aug 01, 2012
- Soni hopeful of news on FM radio clearance by year-end - Oct 20, 2009
- 60 percent TV homes to watch Games ceremony: Doordarshan official - Oct 03, 2010
- 'Doordarshan to earn Rs.300 crore from ad sales during CWG' - Sep 08, 2010
- DTH customers hit by Insat-4B power glitch - Jul 10, 2010
- Cash-strapped Prasar Bharati asked to raise revenue - Mar 27, 2012
- FM radio licenses to be auctioned, set for huge expansion - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: 1 million, 28 august, all india radio, auction model, auctions, dd, decks, doordarshan india, dth channels, dth platform, New Delhi, prasar bharati board, private media, public broadcaster, radio air, reliable sources, slot allocation, transparent system, vacant slots, year end