DC Comics unveils first openly gay superhero Lesbian BatwomanFebruary 11th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 11 (ANI): DC Comics first openly gay superhero is a sapphic socialite called Batwoman.
Taking over from Bruce Wayne is a flame-haired lesbian crime-fighter who suffered an untimely demise in a recent issue of Detective Comics” longest-running series, reports The Telegraph.
For over 60 years, Wayne has fronted the iconic Batman publication.
His apparent passing has paved the way for Batwoman - who is described as a “lesbian socialite by night and a crime-fighter by later in the night” - to take over the reigns for at least 12 issues in a run that begins this June.
Writer Greg Rucka told the Comic Book Resources website that the introduction of a lesbian character into the DC roster was “long overdue”.
“We have been waiting to unlock her. Yes, she’’s a lesbian. She’’s also a redhead. It is an element of her character. It is not her character, he added.
He further dismissed fears of a possible backlash from fans.
“If people are going to have problems with it, that’’s their issue”, Rucka said.
“That’’s certainly not mine, he added.
Batwoman - whose alter ego is Katherine “Kate” Kane - was introduced into the DC character stable in 1956 as a love interest for the Dark Knight. Her appearance helped stifle persisting rumours about Batman’’s own sexuality. (ANI)
- Bale sanitises hands after fan interaction - Jul 21, 2012
- Marion Cotillard to act in new 'Batman' flick - Apr 20, 2011
- Batman killed by his own father in new comic - Nov 29, 2008
- Hilton wants to work with Wayne - Mar 29, 2011
- Sony Music launches superhero theme songs (With Image) - May 06, 2011
- Comic book on movies comes to India with 'Don: The Origin' (With Image) - Dec 20, 2011
- Batman to die a grisly death? - Nov 24, 2008
- NBC: 'The Cape' Preview On iPad, Just Before It's Official Launch - Jan 06, 2011
- Robin Williams Wants A Role In Next Batman Movie - Jun 30, 2010
- Batman comic book artist dies of cancer - Apr 06, 2010
- "Batman" says only Democrat AG can keep Gotham city safe from crime! - Sep 14, 2010
- Wonder Woman Movie? - Jul 24, 2010
- Hope to revive popularity of comics: Director Abhishek Sharma (Interview) - Feb 21, 2012
- At 74, Italian PM can make love fives times a day - Jul 01, 2011
- DC comics all set to impart a new look to Superman - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: alter ego, backlash, batman, comic book resources, crime fighter, dark knight, dc character, dc comics, detective comics, greg rucka, kate kane, lesbian batwoman, lesbian character, london feb, love interest, redhead, rumours, sapphic, sexuality, untimely demise