Daniel Day-Lewis to play Abraham Lincoln in Spielberg filmNovember 20th, 2010 - 1:11 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Nov 20 (ANI): Daniel Day Lewis is set to play Abraham Lincoln in an upcoming biopic to be directed by Steven Spielberg.
Variety reported that the director, who first signed on for DreamWorks’ “Lincoln” in 2001, has announced that Day-Lewis has signed on for the lead.
Five years ago Spielberg seemed close to bringing the film in front of cameras with Liam Neeson under the beard, but the movie was moth-balled over delays.
“Daniel Day-Lewis would have always been counted as one of the greatest of actors, were he from the silent era, the golden age of film or even some time in cinema’s distant future,” the New York Daily News quoted Spielberg as saying in a statement released by DreamWorks.
“I am grateful and inspired that our paths will finally cross with Lincoln,” he added.
The movie, based on the book ‘Team of Rivals’ by Doris Kearns Goodwin, will follow Lincoln and his cabinet through the fight for abolition and the Civil War.
‘Lincoln’ is expected to hit the screens in 2013, in time for the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address. (ANI)
- Sally Field to play Abraham Lincoln's wife in Spielberg's upcoming film - Apr 15, 2011
- Daniel Day-Lewis to play Lincoln - Nov 22, 2010
- Daniel Day Lewis transforms into Abraham Lincoln - Aug 08, 2012
- Spielberg's movie on robots - Sep 23, 2010
- Steven Spielberg, Robert Redford to go head to head with Lincoln biopics - Sep 16, 2009
- Hemsworth in Spielberg's next - Jul 21, 2012
- Today is the Gettysburg address' 147th anniversary - Nov 19, 2010
- Kristen Stewart and Jennifer Lawrence feud over a role - May 28, 2012
- Daniel Day-Lewis to play Sherlock Holmes' nemesis? - Aug 03, 2010
- No Sherlock Holmes sequel for Daniel Day-Lewis - Aug 03, 2010
- Reliance DreamWorks films get 11 Oscar nominations - Jan 25, 2012
- DreamWorks China venture to produce first animation film - Mar 20, 2012
- Spielberg to make biopic on racer James Hunt - Nov 15, 2010
- Hugh Grant wanted to shed 'typical gentleman' tag with drugs baron role - Oct 06, 2010
- Hugh Grant wanted to ditch gentleman image - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: 150th anniversary, abolition, abraham lincoln, beard, biopic, civil war lincoln, daniel day lewis, distant future, doris kearns goodwin, dreamworks, film new, gettysburg address, liam neeson, moth, new york daily news, rivals, spielberg film, steven spielberg, team of rivals by doris kearns goodwin, york daily news