Dancing is equal to doing stunts for me: Kay Kay MenonFebruary 8th, 2009 - 11:33 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) He enthralled audiences with his carefree dancing style in “Honeymoon Travels Pvt Ltd” and has now pulled off a brave stunt by jumping off a moving train in forthcoming film “The Stoneman Murders”. Actor Kay Kay Menon says that for him, dancing is the same as performing a stunt.
“I am quite comfortable with stunts. I have been an active sportsperson so they (stunts) have never really been a problem for me. But, yes, dancing is quite like a stunt for me,” Kay Kay told IANS over telephone from Mumbai.
The actor, who danced on-screen for the first time in “Honeymoon Travels…”, admits he dances best when he is “let loose”.
“I can just about move around. In fact if I’m let loose like Shammi Kapoor-ji, I would perform best. But doing the aerobic style dance and learning all those steps is not my cup of tea,” he said.
In “The Stoneman Murders”, which releases Feb 13, Kay Kay plays a police inspector - a role he last played in Anurag Kashyap’s controversial film “Black Friday”.
“The film is based on a real life incident - the 1983 Mumbai serial killings. I chose to do this film because it dealt with something that happened for real and also because the script was very strong,” said Kay Kay.
Apart from the versatile actor, the thriller also stars Arbaaz Khan, Vikram Gokhale and Rukhsaar.
In the past also, Kay Kay has been seen in reality-based films like “Mumbai Meri Jaan” based on the aftermath of the 2006 Mumbai train bombings and “Black Friday”, which was about the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts that claimed 257 lives. But the actor says he has never intentionally tried to choose such scripts.
“I don’t think I do mostly reality-based films or even choose my films like that. I have done a whole medley of films - fictional, fantasy, comedy and a whole mix of other genres. I do a film only when I connect with its script,” the actor said.
“The Stoneman Murders” comes after the 2008 box-office debacle “Drona”, a film that saw Abhishek Bachchan play superhero and Kay Kay featured as Riz Raizada, the villain. But the actor has no regrets about having signed on for the flop.
“I don’t regret doing ‘Drona’ at all. It was a wonderful experience shooting for the film. I got to do a lot of things like playing this cynical and weirdly comical villain and then I also did horse riding, which I had never done before,” he said.
Asked what went wrong in “Drona”, Kay Kay said: “Most of the time one gets very engaged with the script and then you can’t predict how the film would eventually turn out to be. When a film is made, the actors, director and producer - all of them work with their best intentions to make the film work, but one doesn’t know what’s in store. The same happened with ‘Drona’.”
As of now, the actor has a bunch of films in his kitty that includes Anurag Kashyap’s “Gulaal”, UTV Spotboy’s “Aage Se Right” and comic caper “Sankat City”.
- Actor Gulshan Devaiah on negative streak! - Aug 29, 2011
- Triple bonanza for Rani in 'Aiyyaa' - Jun 16, 2012
- A quirky love story on Rani's platter - Oct 04, 2011
- Kay Kay Menon's comic act - Jun 18, 2009
- Actor Shiv Pandit picks new art - rolling joints! (With Images) - May 22, 2011
- Anurag Kashyap helps Nana with cop role in 'Shagird' (With Images) - May 04, 2011
- Anurag Basu to direct three films in 2011 - Nov 13, 2010
- Wine or script - What made Manoj accept '…Wasseypur'? - May 18, 2012
- Is 'Shaitan' a revamped version of Kashyap's 'Paanch'? - May 31, 2011
- Kunal Kapoor calls 'Doga' his ambitious project - Dec 29, 2011
- Rajat Barmecha shows dark side in 'Shaitan' - Apr 28, 2011
- 'Hostel', a film on horrors of ragging - Dec 19, 2010
- Dull week ahead despite Shah Rukh's 'Billu' hitting the screens - Feb 12, 2009
- Marketing has taken over content in Bollywood: Kay Kay Menon - May 26, 2011
- Anushka Sharma mum on 'Bombay Velvet' - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: anurag kashyap, arbaaz khan, black friday, controversial film, cup of tea, forthcoming film, honeymoon travels pvt ltd, kay kay, kay kay menon, moving train, mumbai serial blasts, mumbai train bombings, police inspector, serial killings, shammi kapoor, sportsperson, stoneman, style dance, versatile actor, vikram gokhale