‘DAMs - The Lethal Water Bomb’ bags three awards at LA festMay 24th, 2011 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, May 24 (IANS) “DAMs - The Lethal Water Bomb”, a thought-provoking documentary on the 116-year-old Mullaperiyar dam in Kerala, bagged three awards at the prestigious Los Angeles Movie Awards (LAMA).The 21-minute documentary, produced by Biz TV Network and directed by Dubai-based Sohan Roy, a naval architect by profession, won awards for excellence, best editing and best visual effects.
Roy’s office said that the LAMA 2011 award highlighs safety issues related to the dam in Kerala.
The documentary also serves as a warning to those who have turned a blind eye towards the reality of a possible natural disaster.
Two states, Kerala and Tamil Nadu, having a long-running feud over the safety of the dam - while Kerala has been saying it is unsafe, Tamil Nadu claims no such danger from the water reservoir.
Tamil Nadu, which controls the dam, wants to increase the storage level of the dam from the current 136 feet to 142 feet. Kerala opposes this, citing safety concerns for the thickly populated districts downstream.
- Documentary on Mullaperiyar dam bags award - Mar 30, 2011
- 'DAM999' vies for Oscar qualification - Oct 28, 2011
- IMDb rates 'DAM999' among top films - Dec 06, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bans screening of 'Dam 999' - Nov 24, 2011
- Don't allow release of 'Dam 999', demands Karunanidhi - Nov 24, 2011
- Tremors, movie focus attention on controversial dam (Letter from Kerala) - Nov 27, 2011
- Controversy helped 'DAM 999': Director - Nov 25, 2011
- Kerala scheming to convert Tamil Nadu into a desert: Karunanidhi - Dec 12, 2011
- Jayalalithaa takes on disaster authority over Mullaperiyar - Dec 21, 2011
- Water for Tamil Nadu, safety for Kerala: Chandy on Mullaperiyar - Nov 23, 2011
- Mullaperiyar Dam: Chandy, AIADMK MPs meet PM - Dec 02, 2011
- Mullaperiyar dam talks shift to Delhi - Dec 01, 2011
- 'Dam 999' director moves Supreme Court against ban - Nov 30, 2011
- 'DAM 999' director seeks police protection - Dec 10, 2011
- Documentary film based on Mullaperiyar Dam released in Kochi - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: best editing, biz tv, blind eye, dams, kerala, lama, minute documentary, mullaperiyar dam, natural disaster, naval architect, safety concerns, safety issues, sohan, storage level, tamil nadu, tv network, two states, visual effects, water bomb, water reservoir