Dame Shirley Bassey enters UK charts with first album in two decadesNovember 16th, 2009 - 3:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, November 16 (ANI): Singer Dame Shirley Bassey has made it to the album charts with her first album of original material in 20 years.
The 72-year-old’s album, titled ‘The Performance,’ has entered the charts at number 20.
The Welsh singer has recorded tracks written by artists including the Kaiser Chiefs, Gary Barlow, Pet Shop Boys and Manic Street Preachers.
Meanwhile, 92-year-old Dame Vera Lynn became the oldest living artist to top the UK album chart with her album in September.
She replaced Arctic Monkeys at the top position.
Martin Talbot, from the Official UK Charts Company, believes it is the older music fans who have played a role in the increase in album sales.
“It’s been a vintage year for veteran artists. The success of older acts has been growing over recent years but it has peaked in 2009,” the Telegraph quoted him as telling The Guardian.
Also, Will Page, chief economist at PRs for Music, added: “With so much ambiguity around the return on an investment in a new record by an emerging band, a safer bet might be to exploit existing records from established acts.” (ANI)
- Shirley Bassey to sing at Kate Moss wedding - May 30, 2011
- Dame Shirley Bassey launches first studio album in 20 years - Sep 22, 2009
- Macca says Shirley Bassey was considered for 007 theme - Aug 30, 2010
- Help! The Beatles edged out by singer, 92 - Sep 14, 2009
- Dame Vera wins lifetime achievement award - Oct 13, 2009
- Robbie Williams' return boosts Take That sales - Nov 22, 2010
- Sir Tom Jones fails to become oldest chart topper - Aug 02, 2010
- New Take That album coming out next year - May 23, 2012
- Adele Adkins beats Lady Gaga to top spot, matches Beatles record - Feb 21, 2011
- Elton John's heart-warming gift to Vanessa Redgrave - May 15, 2010
- Dame Vera Lynn becomes world's oldest living artist to have No. 1 album - Sep 14, 2009
- Jones' 'Come away with me' top-selling album - Mar 25, 2012
- Adele's '21' world's biggest-selling album - May 16, 2012
- Duffy to sing 'Bond' movie title song? - May 22, 2009
- Adele matches Madonna's UK album record - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: album charts, album sales, arctic monkeys, chief economist, dame shirley bassey, dame vera lynn, existing records, gary barlow, kaiser chiefs, manic street preachers, music fans, official uk charts company, older music, pet shop boys, prs, shirley bassey, uk charts, veteran artists, vintage year, welsh singer