Daley Thompson is Olympian most Brit gays want to dateAugust 6th, 2008 - 11:39 am ICT by ANI
London, Aug 6 (ANI): Daley Thompson has topped a list of Great British male Olympians that gay men in the country would love to take out on a date.
The double Olympic gold medallist decathlete took the top spot with 33percent of the votes in a poll by gay-PARSHIP.co.uk - Europes largest serious dating site for gay men and women.
Thompson, who famously wore a T-shirt asking Is the world’’s second greatest athlete gay? at the 1984 LA Games in reference to rumours then circulating about American star, Carl Lewis, edged out five-times Olympic gold medallist Sir Steve Redgrave who raked in 28 percent of the vote.
Third place on the list went to Redgraves rowing partner Sir Matthew Pinsent with 17 percent of the vote followed by triple jumper Jonathan Edwards, 11pct, in fourth place.
Tied at fifth place were old rivals Lord Coe and Steve Ovett with 6 percent of the votes.
Lord Coe took gold in the 1500m in 1980 and again four years later in 1984. Steve Ovett took Gold in the 800 metres in 1980.
gay-PARSHIP spokesman, Adrian Gillan, says: Daley Thompson himself will surely hardly be surprised, after all these years, that a male as good-looking, humorous and virile as he can attract so much homosexual attention.
Although the eternally boyish Edwards and Coe may be disappointed not to have charmed their ways higher up the homo-podium, they will unquestionably be delighted to see gay people taking such keen interest in athletics: hopefully not just as cheering spectators but also as out and proud participants if not in Beijing this month, then in London four years hence.
The list for the Most desired gay male date with Great British male Olympian is:
Daley Thompson 33pct
Sir Steve Redgrave 28pct
Sir Matthew Pinsent 17pct
Jonathan Edwards 11pct
Lord Coe and Steve Ovett 6pct (ANI)
- Coe backs Thompson to light the Olympic flame - Jul 15, 2011
- Steve Redgrave is public's choice to light Olympic cauldron - Jul 22, 2012
- Thousands cheer Queen's Diamond Jubilee river pageant - Jun 04, 2012
- British PM brings sports icons like Coe to India - Jul 26, 2010
- Dame Kelly Holmes is Olympian most Brit lesbians want to date - Aug 06, 2008
- BOA recommends changes to world anti-doping code - Apr 12, 2012
- Olympians back Brit athletes' decision to participate in Delhi CWG despite security concerns - Sep 26, 2010
- Cameron says National Stadium 'world class' - Jul 29, 2010
- I won't be doing London Olympics: Ringo Starr - Jul 25, 2011
- Britain can't force sportsperson to participate in CWG: Sports secretary - Jul 28, 2010
- Beatles, Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols to perform together at London Olympics? - Apr 25, 2011
- Sachin, Gambhir nominated for ICC Awards - Aug 26, 2011
- National Stadium is 'world class': Cameron (Lead) - Jul 29, 2010
- Cricket overshadowing other sports in India: Sebastian Coe - Apr 28, 2011
- Team must go for CWG: New Zealand sporting greats - Sep 19, 2010
Tags: 1500m, american star, carl lewis, daley thompson, gay men, gillan, gold medallist, jonathan edwards, keen interest, lord coe, matthew pinsent, olympians, olympic gold, parship, proud participants, sir matthew, sir steve redgrave, spectators, steve ovett, triple jumper