Dalai Lama urges supporters to not disturb Olympic torch relay in LhasaJune 12th, 2008 - 2:27 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, June 12 (ANI): On a five-day visit to Australia, the Dalai Lama today appealed to his supporters to not disturb the relay in the Tibetan capital Lhasa next week as it heads to Beijing for the Olympic Games.
He believed that there would not be any trouble during the relay.
We have fully supported the Olympic Games right from the beginning, the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader said at a conference where he was giving spiritual teachings.
“The torch is part of that. Over one billion Chinese brothers and sisters feel really proud of that. We should respect that. So, I don’t think there will be any trouble, the AAP quoted him, as saying.
In Europe, the US, Asia and Australia, the torch relay has been the target of protests over China’s crackdown on dissidents in Tibet.
The Dalai Lama, on a five-day visit to Australia, has met with federal Opposition Leader Brendan Nelson and will have talks with federal government ministers later this week. (ANI)
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- China must probe self-immolation cause: Dalai Lama - Jun 29, 2012
- Czech deputy PM concerned over Tibet situation - Mar 02, 2012
- Tibet situation grim, needs global intervention, say exiles - Feb 24, 2012
- Self-immolations in Tibet politically motivated: Lawmaker - May 16, 2012
- Dalai Lama's envoys re-appointed - Jun 14, 2011
- Media censorship in China wrong: Dalai Lama - Dec 13, 2011
- The Dalai Lama: Torn between Tibet and India! - Mar 03, 2012
- Dharamsala calm as Wen arrives in India (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- 'Another monk has self-immolated in Tibet' - Jul 17, 2012
- Japanese support Dalai Lama's policy on Tibet - Sep 23, 2011
- Dalai Lama a symbol of peace: Dhumal - Sep 02, 2011
- Respect rights of Tibetans: European Parliament - Oct 28, 2011
- Dalai Lama meets fellow Nobel icon Suu Kyi - Jun 20, 2012
- Dalai Lama blames Beijing for self-immolations - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: aap, beijing, brendan nelson, brothers and sisters, chinese brothers, crackdown, dalai lama, dissidents, federal government ministers, federal opposition leader, lhasa, olympic games, olympic torch relay, one billion, protests, spiritual teachings, target, tibet, tibetan capital, tibetan spiritual leader