Dalai Lama offers prayer at Ajmer Sufi shrineJuly 9th, 2008 - 7:25 pm ICT by ANI
Ajmer, July 9 (ANI): Tibetan Spiritual leader the Dalai Lama visited the revered Ajmer Sharif shrine in Rajasthan this morning to offer prayers on the occasion of ”Urs”, the 796th death anniversary of Sufi saint, Khwaja Moin-ud-Din Chishti.
The Tibetan Spiritual leader offered prayers at the Dargah Sharif during his two days visit to Rajasthan.
The Dalai Lama said promotion of harmony for lasting world peace has been his life-long commitment.
“All major religions of the world present the same potential to promote wholeheartedness or compassion. Through that way, genuine and lasting world peace can exist. You know for that reason, harmony among different traditions is very essential. This is my life-long commitment,” said the Dalai Lama.
Thousands of devotees congregate at the Ajmer Sharif shrine every year to offer prayers on the occasion of Urs, which began on July 5 this year.
The shrine is a symbol of religious convergence as people of all religions throng here in large numbers with the belief that all their wishes would be fulfilled once they offer prayers at the shrine.
An estimated one million devotees from India and abroad visit the saint’’s shrine during the six-day long Urs. The shrine also brings devotees from neighbouring countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh.
The annual gathering is considered to be second largest congregation of Muslims at one place after Mecca. (ANI)
- Sonia Gandhi sends her offerings to Sufi saint's shrine - Jun 14, 2010
- Manmohan Singh sends his offerings to Sufi saint's shrine - Jun 15, 2010
- Tight security measures ahead of Urs fair in Ajmer - Jun 12, 2010
- Muslim dervishes on way to Ajmer Sharif perform daredevil acts - Jun 14, 2010
- Ajmer shrine authorities mum on Zardari visit - Apr 03, 2012
- Dalai Lama prays at Bodh Gaya ahead of Kalachakra puja - Dec 31, 2011
- The journey to Ajmer Sharif - from Akbar to Zardari - Apr 05, 2012
- Muslim devotees throng Ajmer to take part in Chishti Urs - Jun 13, 2010
- Zardari fourth Pakistani leader to visit Ajmer - Apr 03, 2012
- Locals pray for rain at Moinuddin Chishti's shrine - Jul 19, 2010
- Muslim saints perform acrobatics in Ajmer ahead of 'Urs' - Jun 24, 2009
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Pakistani prisoner may be released - Jul 27, 2011
- Prime Minister sends "Chadar" at Ajmer Sharif shrine - Jun 28, 2009
- Keep windows shut, shops closed: Ajmer residents told - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: ajmer sharif, compassion, convergence, dalai lama, dargah sharif, death anniversary, devotees, harmony, large numbers, major religions of the world, mecca, muslims, neighbouring countries, one million, prayers, religions of the world, sufi saint, tibetan spiritual leader, urs, world peace