Daily soaps don’t excite me anymore: Mandira BediJuly 22nd, 2010 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) Television actress-turned-host Mandira Bedi says she has no interest in doing daily soaps and insists she is happy hosting shows.
“I don’t want to do television soaps. I have been receiving many offers where people ask me to at least listen to the scripts but it doesn’t excite me any more. I would rather enjoy being a host than act,” Mandira told IANS.
She was present in the capital along with husband Raj Kaushal to launch 92.7 BIG FM’s new show “Thoda Personal”.
Mandira started her career in 1994 with the lead role in television serial “Shanti”. She also played a supporting role in 1995 blockbuster film “Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge”.
She made a re-entry on the small screen when she portrayed the villainous character of “Mandira” in the popular Indian soap “Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi”.
After “Kyunki…”, Mandira went on to hosting musical reality shows like “Fame Gurukul” and “Jo Jeeta Wohi Super Star” among others.
She was also part of “Extraa Innings” in the 2007 Cricket World Cup and presented the coverage of the 2010 Indian Premier League cricket on British channel ITV in March.
When asked what has been keeping her away from daily soaps, Mandira said “there is nothing like Shanti”.
“There has not been any role like ‘Shanti’ which has inspired me. It’s only when I feel that I can add value to a television show, I agree to be a part of it. It should appeal to me and fit into my scheme of things,” she added.
“There has been some very progressive and some very regressive shows. Television is the mirror of society. You want people to get inspired. But there are many shows that are taking you backwards. You need to take a step forward rather than moving backwards,” she added.
Meanwhile, Mandira is busy banking on her svelte figure.
“I have been busy shooting for magazine covers of late. I have got into a decent shape and I am cashing on my abs as long as it remains,” she said.
- Mandira Bedi Is Happy Hosting Shows, Not Interested In Daily Soaps - Jul 22, 2010
- Mandira Bedi excited about dancing on TV show - Jul 31, 2008
- Lara inspired by 'DDLJ' - Apr 06, 2011
- Sreeram has velvet voice: Shaan (Snippets) - Apr 05, 2012
- Mandira Bedi prepared for motherhood - Mar 05, 2010
- Happy to be making good item numbers: Composer Lalit - Jan 13, 2012
- Small screen apes big; creativity down the tube - Jul 07, 2012
- 'Balika Vadhu' puts forth reality well: Farida Jalal - May 12, 2012
- (VM) I just got lucky, says SRK on 20 years in B-Town - Jun 25, 2012
- DDLJ in Pattinson's favourite five movie list - Nov 03, 2011
- I want to make my absence felt: Anupam Kher (Interview) - Feb 09, 2011
- Playing historical character is not easy: Achint Kaur - Dec 31, 2010
- Clash of cousins? No, says Bhavna Ruparel - Aug 29, 2012
- I'm very happy, says Kajol after Padma Shri - Jan 25, 2011
- Mandira Bedi still 'Shanti' for Sri Lankans - Jun 03, 2010
Tags: bhi kabhi bahu thi, blockbuster film, cricket world cup, daily soaps, decent shape, fame gurukul, itv, jeeta, kaushal, lead role, league cricket, mandira bedi, New Delhi, premier league, scheme of things, soap, svelte figure, television actress, television show, wohi