Cure AIDS with love, says Elton JohnJuly 25th, 2012 - 8:56 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 25 (IANS)Singer Elton John believes AIDS can be cured with love as that is what drives research into the potentially fatal disease.
“Maybe you think I am naive. Maybe you think I am off my rocker. Here I am telling an audience of 7,000 global health experts that you can end AIDS with love,” he said at the AIDS 2012 international conference, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
“But thanks to all this compassion, all this love, more than 8 million people are on treatment.. Thanks to people who have chosen to act, who have chosen to care, we can see an end to this epidemic…” he said.
“… but it’s going to take a lot more compassion to get us there, a hell of a lot more,” he added.
The 65-year-old went on to note that “shame and stigma” prevent many people from getting help with the condition and discussed his belief that everyone needs to feel that they matter in the world.
“We have inexpensive and accurate take-home tests for HIV. But we can’t convince people to get tested if they think their lives don’t count… Millions of people around the world feel ashamed because of who they are. They feel subhuman, worthless, like they don’t matter at all,” he said.
Referring to his recovery from cocaine addiction, he added: “I felt that shame before and it almost killed me. It’s killing people all around the world. We have to replace the stigma with compassion.”
- Use protection, celebs advise on World AIDS Day - Dec 01, 2010
- Not using UDRS could backfire on India: Swann - Jun 15, 2011
- I'd gift my perfume to Deepika, Ranbir: Arjun Rampal - Jan 13, 2012
- Rihanna scared of falling in love - Jul 08, 2012
- Indian TV projects unhappy lives: Karan Johar (Interview) - Jun 13, 2012
- Priyanka finds Jhilmil endearing - Jul 03, 2012
- Shakib appointed Bangladesh's Think Wise spokesperson for HIV/AIDS awareness - Nov 30, 2010
- Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish: Steve Jobs' speech at Stanford - Oct 06, 2011
- This year's best 'dumb criminal' tales so far (The Funny Side) - Aug 17, 2012
- Elton John will never join Twitter - Jul 22, 2012
- Sharman, Boman different takes on Father's Day - Jun 14, 2012
- At 49, I'm still looking for love: Sanjay Leela Bhansali - Aug 25, 2012
- International friendlies are 'a waste of time': Ferguson - Mar 29, 2011
- B-town celebrates Christmas with family, friends - Dec 25, 2011
- Suppressing compassion might make you act immorally - Mar 16, 2012