Cuban singer to go on US tour in JuneMay 25th, 2011 - 11:46 am ICT by IANS
Havana, May 25 (IANS/EFE) Cuban singer-songwriter Carlos Varela will undertake a new US tour in June during which he is scheduled to offer nine concerts with his band, the government Web site Cubadebate reported Tuesday.
The tour will run from June 10-25 and includes shows in Miami, New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Los Angeles, a year after the artist’s last round of concerts in that country.
Varela is scheduled to perform at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, as well as at the Playboy Jazz Festival in Los Angeles and at New York’s Blue Note Jazz Festival.
In addition, he will also give concerts at clubs and other venues such as BB King’s Blues in New York and the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Boston, before wrapping up the tour with three shows in Miami, where several generations of Cuban Americans follow his music.
The 48-year-old Varela came out with his first songs in 1978 and is considered one of the more well-known representatives of the generation of singer-songwriters who made names for themselves within the so-called “novisima trova cubana” musical and lyrical style.
He is considered to be an urban troubadour with links to rock but also influenced by reggae, country and traditional Cuban “son” and “guajira” rhythms.
Varela has recorded nine albums. His latest work, entitled “No Es El Fin,” was released in 2009.
- Cuban singer to perform in Miami - Jun 03, 2011
- Cuban singer announces dates for US tour - Jun 21, 2011
- Lissette Alvarez presents her new album - May 16, 2012
- Reggaeton duo film documentary in Cuba - Jan 31, 2012
- Cuban singer-songwriter dies - Feb 03, 2012
- Cinema helps one understand life, reality: Spanish filmmaker - Mar 04, 2011
- Singer Julieta Venegas to perform at Miami festival - Sep 08, 2011
- Former Miss Universe says she's blessed - Mar 06, 2012
- Ricky Martin, Julieta Venegas captivate Brazil - Aug 29, 2011
- Jon Secada calls himself a `workingman of music' - Feb 15, 2012
- Estefano relives shooting in a song - Jun 12, 2012
- Nayer grateful to Pitbull for career boost - May 04, 2012
- Juanes to record acoustic music special for MTV - Dec 07, 2011
- Gloria Trevi presents second single of new album - May 10, 2011
- Views of Madrid in Pitbull, Shakira music video - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: american music hall, bb king, blue note jazz, blue note jazz festival, blues in new york, carlos varela, coolidge corner theatre, cubadebate, cuban americans, cuban singer, cuban son, government web, great american music, great american music hall, guajira, lyrical style, playboy jazz festival, singer songwriter, singer songwriters, york chicago