Cruise, Preston deny involvement in anti-scientology journalist’s sackingJune 16th, 2009 - 5:06 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 16 (ANI): Devoted Scientologists Tom Cruise and Kelly Preston have denied claims that they influenced Fox News to sack a popular entertainment journalist for his longstanding criticism of the faith.
Roger Friedman, who was fired in April, had announced that he intended to sue his former employer for unjust termination, claiming various Hollywood stars pressurised network bosses to dismiss him since he had a history of criticising their Scientology beliefs.
The reporter, who intends to file the lawsuit soon in New York, alleges his columns infuriated high profile Scientologists including Cruise, who he claims was in negotiations to sign on to future Fox movie projects at the time of his sacking.
He further accused Preston of calling him a “religious bigot” at a funeral last August, alleging she subsequently orchestrated a meeting between senior Fox executives and Scientology leaders in an effort have him removed from the media network.
“In falsely claiming Roger engaged in piracy, they attempted to destroy the reputation of a fine journalist. I’ve seen how Scientology intimidates even the most powerful media. That seems to be what happened here,” Contactmusic quoted Friedman’s attorney Martin Garbus as saying.
But Cruise’s lawyers have hit back at the claims, dubbing them as “utterly false”.
Preston’s lawyer Martin Singer also blasted the allegations as “absurd and ridiculous”.
He added: “(Friedman) was terminated just days after (his X-Men Origins column was published). It is outrageous to try to blame my client on the basis of something that supposedly took place eight months earlier.” (ANI)
- Oksana Grigorieva 'to sue' Mel Gibson - Sep 17, 2010
- Cruise, Holmes welcome Travolta back to public life following son's death - Oct 21, 2009
- Tom Cruise denies claims that Scientology interviewed women for him - Sep 04, 2012
- Scientology behind JLo, Marc split? - Aug 14, 2011
- Kirstie Alley's new weight-loss programme linked to Scientology - Mar 17, 2010
- Lindsay Lohan denies fling with Tom Cruise - Sep 07, 2012
- Is Tom Cruise going to tie the knot with Yolanda Pecoraro? - Jul 19, 2012
- Tom Cruise's lawyer threatens to sue National Enquirer - Jul 13, 2012
- Jennifer Lopez & husband may have split because of Scientology - Aug 15, 2011
- Rachel Maddow And Bill O'Reilly Put Down Each Other - Aug 09, 2010
- Fox News fires Newt Gingrich - May 06, 2011
- John Travolta Threatens To File A Suit Against Gawker.com - Dec 01, 2010
- Scientologists outraged by defector's claims - Feb 08, 2011
- Kelly Preston And John Travolta Are Blessed With A Chubby Baby Boy - Nov 25, 2010
- Suri to study in New York, Cruise hopes to meet her soon - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: allegations, eight months, entertainment journalist, fox executives, fox news, friedman, high profile, hollywood stars, kelly preston, martin garbus, martin singer, origins, piracy, popular entertainment, religious bigot, scientologists, scientology beliefs, tom cruise, unjust termination, x men