Crime leaders Kray Twins schemed to take over as The Beatles’ managersJune 21st, 2009 - 3:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 21 (ANI): The Kray Twins schemed to take over as The Beatles’ managers, it has emerged.
It has also been revealed that Reginald ‘Reggie’ Kray and Ronald ‘Ronnie’ Kray, the foremost organised crime leaders dominating London’s East End during the 1950s and 1960s, asked Glasgow crimelord Arthur Thompson for advice on their plan.
The astonishing tale of how John, Paul, George and Ringo were almost taken over by the twin brothers is set to hit the big screen. Two TV soap stars have been lined up to play the killers.
And the flick’s scriptwriter has revealed how Reggie and Ronnie schemed to take over as the Fab Four’s managers.
“The twins respected Arthur Thompson over his business dealings. And during their only visit to Glasgow they told him they were thinking of managing The Beatles,” the News of the World quoted Colin Fry, 65, who knew the Krays for 25 years, as saying.
The meeting between the three feared crime bosses took place in the early 1960s in the now-demolished Cockatoo Bar in Govanhill.
At the end of their discussions, the Krays stunned the Glasgow Godfather by telling him they were taking over Beatles manager Brian Epstein’s music empire.
It is believed they had been planning to blackmail the fabulously rich pop guru into handing over his business.
“Ronnie and Reggie had been introduced to Epstein one evening at a gay club in London. At the time he was managing The Beatles, who were making colossal amounts of money,” Colin said.
“It was suspected they had evidence he was having a gay affair with a musician. He was keen to keep his sexuality secret.
“So he was told that the Krays were taking The Beatles off him,” Colin added.
However, the twins were talked out of their takeover plan by their Scottish colleague.
“Thompson warned them off and pointed out that if they were linked to The Beatles it would destroy the band’s career. So when the Krays got back to London they just settled for blackmailing poor Brian for cash,” Colin said. (ANI)
- Film on Beatles manager Brian Epstein in the pipeline - Aug 28, 2009
- Female prison officer facing jail over inmate phone sex - Mar 19, 2010
- Prince Andrew 'made regular phone calls to paedophile Jeffrey Epstein' - Mar 04, 2011
- Civil war enthusiast Alf Thompson uses his skills to disarm robber - Aug 07, 2012
- Flirting may help women be liked, not trusted - Jul 22, 2012
- Cockatoos under threat of extinction - Jan 05, 2012
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
- Ronnie Wood says he stole guitar riffs from The Beatles - Apr 26, 2010
- Senior Quarterback Reggie Garrett Dies After Touchdown Pass - Sep 19, 2010
- John Lennon once dreamt of playing for Liverpool - Apr 21, 2009
- Ronnie Wood loves Marvin Gaye songs - Feb 03, 2012
- George Harrison's sister shares Beatles family pictures and US debut - Apr 09, 2009
- Beatles first contract set to fetch PS250k at auction - Aug 13, 2008
- Reggie Bush Suffers Leg Injury During Monday Night Game - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: arthur thompson, beatles manager, cockatoo, colin fry, crime bosses, fab four, gay affair, gay club, govanhill, kray twins, krays, manager brian epstein, music empire, news of the world, pop guru, reggie kray, scriptwriter, soap stars, takeover plan, tv soap