Cranberries can help prevent urinary tract infectionsNovember 25th, 2008 - 6:34 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 25 (ANI): Cranberries can help prevent urinary tract infections (UTIs).
Cranberries are useful in preventing these infections because the fruits high acid content can help inhibit bacterial growth along the urinary tract.
If left untreated, a simple UTI could spell trouble for the bladder and kidneys.
UTIs occur when bacteria enter the urinary tract and multiply in the urethra. The lining of the urethra becomes red and irritated, like a sore throat.
If the infection in the urethra (urethritis) is left unchecked, bacteria can move deeper into the urinary tract to the bladder (cystitis) and throughout the ureters into the kidneys (pyelonephritis).
Kidney infections are extremely dangerous and can lead to life-threatening conditions such as bacteremia (bacteria in the bloodstream) if left untreated.
However, urologists has warned that cranberries might not help everyone and urge patients to seek treatment if they have UTI symptoms.
Other methods of UTI prevention include proper hydration and judicious use of antibiotics prescribed by a physician. (ANI)
- New approach for treating urinary tract infections - Aug 17, 2012
- Cranberry Juice may help in kids' bladder infections - Sep 10, 2012
- How E. coli triggers urinary infections - Jan 19, 2012
- Bugs filch copper to spread urinary infections - Jul 09, 2012
- Immune system overreaction may open door to recurrent urinary tract infections - Aug 13, 2010
- New testing method for cranberry products to know UTI treatments' efficacy - Apr 22, 2010
- Findings on how bladder cells detect bacteria may help prevent urinary tract infections - Aug 21, 2009
- Link found between retail meat and urinary tract infections - Jan 21, 2010
- Cranberry juice not effective against urinary tract infections: Study - Dec 09, 2010
- Cranberry juice better at fighting bugs - Oct 30, 2011
- Shrimp shell nanoparticle combats microbes, heals wounds - Mar 18, 2012
- 'Low water intake causes urinary tract infections' - Nov 04, 2010
- 'Drink lemonade to prevent kidney stones' - Apr 23, 2010
- Most sick newborns have kidney problem: Study (March 11 is World Kidney Day) - Mar 11, 2010
- Stem cell transplants show promise for patients with kidney problems - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: acid content, bacteria, bacterial growth, bladder, bloodstream, cranberries, cystitis, fruits, kidney infections, kidneys, prevention, proper hydration, sore throat, ureters, urethra, urethritis, urge, urinary tract infections, use of antibiotics, uti symptoms