CPI-M legislator ‘roughs up’ TV reporterMarch 29th, 2011 - 12:45 am ICT by IANS
Kannur (Kerala), March 28 (IANS) A television journalist was Monday allegedly roughed up by a senior legislator of Kerala’s ruling Left Democratic Front after a chat show. The legislator denied the charge and accused the journalist of taking a partisan stand during the show.
Asianet TV channel reporter Shahjahan said several issues were raised in the show featuring Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) legislator P. Jayarajan, including the allegations against P.Sasi, who had to step down as the CPI-M’s Kannur district secretary. Jayarajan is currently the acting district secretary.
“During the show, there was several times a heated discussion between the supporters of the CPI-M and the Congress-led opposition but the show ended peacefully. But after that I was surrounded by several CPI-M supporters and tried to escape by moving towards the leaders of various parties participating in the show. It was here I was roughed up by Jayarajan,” said Shahjahan.
He added that afterwards, he also received a telephone call from Jayarajan threatening him with dire consequences.
Later Asianet TV channel aired the recorded conversation of Jayarajan, where he said that they know that Shahjahan had taken money from the Congress to tarnish the CPI-M’s image.
Jayarajan, however, denied the allegation that he manhandled Shahjahan.
“It was totally wrong that Shahjahan was manhandled. I pacified the angry audience. Shahjahan behaved in a partisan manner during the debate,” he said.
Reacting to the controversy, Leader of Opposition Oommen Chandy flayed the intolerance of the CPI-M.
“It appears the CPI-M is loosing its patience and they have totally acted against the freedom of the press through this barbaric act. Jayarajan has to apologise for this and we are all waiting to hear the response from the CPI-M,” he said.
A large number of other opposition leaders also condemned the incident and expressed their concern ovr the way the CPI-M leaders and their supporters were behaving.
- Kerala CPI-M leader arrested in murder case - Aug 01, 2012
- CPI-M legislator remanded in custody in murder case (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Shutdown in Kerala over CPI-M leader's arrest - Aug 02, 2012
- CPI(M) MLA Rajesh denied bail, Jayarajan's remand extended - Aug 14, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader denied bail in murder case - Aug 04, 2012
- Bail denied to Kerala CPI-M leaders in murder case - Aug 13, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for murder, party calls shutdown (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Decision on arrested Kerala CPI-M leader's bail Saturday - Aug 03, 2012
- IUML worker's murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail - Aug 27, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leaders to protest Monday - Apr 15, 2012
- Tension within the ranks haunt UDF and LDF too (Kerala Newsletter) - Aug 17, 2012
- Congress MP ready to be quizzed by police, CPI-M leaders not keen - Jul 02, 2012
- Kerala legislator gets bail in murder case - Aug 21, 2012
- CPI-M legislator, 32 others charged in IUML worker murder - Aug 23, 2012
- CPI-M worker killed during Kerala shutdown (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: acting district, allegation, barbaric act, chandy, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, democratic front, district secretary, freedom of the press, heated discussion, kannur district, leader of opposition, legislator, opposition leaders, roughs, sasi, shahjahan, television journalist, tv reporter