Courtney Love sued over comments on TwitterJanuary 6th, 2011 - 6:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 6 (ANI): Courtney Love has been sued by Texas-based fashion designer Dawn Simorangkir over the singer’s comments made on the micro-blogging website Twitter.
Love used her Twitter account to describe Simorangkir as a “drug pushing prostitute” during a dispute over payment for clothes.
That comment was automatically picked up by 40,000 people through the social networking platform, and they in turn passed them on to others.
Now Simorangkir has brought a potentially groundbreaking legal case in which she claims false statements by Love damaged her career in the fashion world, and could have cost her millions of dollars.
This is the first time has that a first high profile celebrity is sued over comments made on Twitter.
“There has never been anything like this case before,” the Telegraph quoted Simorangkir’s lawyer Bryan Freedman as telling The Hollywood Reporter.
The case is set to go to court in Los Angeles later this month and the fashion designer is asking for unspecified damages.
According to the complaint Love “embarked on what is nothing short of an obsessive and delusional crusade to destroy Simorangkir’s reputation and her livelihood.”
She accuses Love of “spreading vile and vicious lies through marathon rants” on social networking platforms.
However, James Janowitz, a lawyer for the singer said, “We don’t believe there is any defamation, and even if there were defamatory statements, there was no damage.” (ANI)
- Courtney Love to pay over $400K to settle Twitter lawsuit - Mar 04, 2011
- Courtney Love's trial date pushed back - Jan 07, 2011
- Love settles defamation lawsuit with designer - Mar 04, 2011
- Courtney Love fires back at libel case - Aug 22, 2009
- I'm not a social network genius: Courtney Love - May 06, 2012
- Courtney Love sued by top fashion designer for defamation - Mar 27, 2009
- Courtney Love in legal trouble again - Jul 12, 2012
- Sonam's supports fashion for a cause - Mar 13, 2012
- Courtney Love settles Nirvana lawsuit - Aug 18, 2010
- Osbourne sued over jewellery designs - Feb 05, 2012
- Courtney Love makes emotional plea to daughter - May 11, 2010
- Courtney Love threatens lawsuit over daughter's custody on Twitter - Jan 15, 2010
- Madonna sued over 'Vogue' song - Jul 14, 2012
- Courtney Love branded 'prepubescent feral cat' by daughter - Aug 27, 2010
- Frances Bean Her Accuses Mom Courtney Love - Aug 30, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,