Court rejects plea for plagiarism case against BhandarkarJune 27th, 2012 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 27 (IANS) A Delhi court Wednesday rejected an author’s plea for lodging a case against Bollywood filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar for copying from her book the plot of his 2008 film “Fashion”.
The court said that no prima facie case is made out against Bhandarkar, the film’s storywriter Ajay Monga, and film producter Ronnie Screwvala of UTV Motion Pictures.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sanjay Sharma said: “There cannot be a copyright in an idea or plot, subject matter, themes or legendary facts. Therefore, no direction is given for registration of the FIR.”
The court was hearing a plea by actress-turned-author Seema Seth who alleged that Bhandarkar stole the plot and idea for “Fashion” from her book “El Dorado”, which was published three months before the release of the film Oct 29, 2008.
Seth requested the court to book Bhandarkar for violation of the Copyright Act, as the idea of the story had been taken from the book without her permission.
The court, however, has given Seth an opportunity to bring more evidence to substantiate her charge on the issue and fixed the next hearing Aug 8.
- Decision on author's plea against Bhandarkar June 27 - Jun 19, 2012
- Court refuses to summon script of 'Fashion' film - Aug 23, 2012
- Bhandarkar amused over 'Fashion' copyright case (Movie Snippets) - Apr 13, 2012
- UTV yet to decide fate of Ash-starrer 'Heroine' - Jun 25, 2011
- Ash, Bhandarkar launch 'Heroine' in Cannes (With Images) - May 13, 2011
- Will Aishwarya, Hrithik be third time lucky with 'Guzaarish'? (IANS Preview) - Nov 15, 2010
- Pretti Jaiin rape case: Madhur Bhandarkar summoned Nov 14 - Oct 18, 2011
- Walt Disney, UTV to co-produce family films - May 19, 2011
- We've revamped 'Heroine' script for Aishwarya: Bhandarkar - May 15, 2011
- Court reserves order in case against Dikshit (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Kareena shows different shades of Bollywood 'heroine' (With Images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Kareena cruises on stardom in Dubai (With Image) - Sep 04, 2012
- I want to make an intense love story: Bhandarkar - Feb 19, 2011
- 'Chandni Bar', 'Fashion' to be screened in Berlin - Aug 13, 2012
- Who's likely to head to Cannes from B-Town? - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: ajay, copyright act, delhi court, el dorado, film fashion, fir, june 27, madhur bhandarkar, magistrate, monga, New Delhi, plagiarism case, plea, prima facie case, sanjay sharma, seema, seth, storywriter, three months, utv motion pictures